Homemade carb synch tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade carb synch tool

Well I'm hoping to finally get her put all back together this weekend after having to re order the valve cover gasket since the dealership gave me the wrong one.

I made one of those homemade carb synch tools using clear hose, oil, yard stick, etc I think you know what I'm talking about. How much vaccum can I expect? I'm just a little worried about the oil getting sucked all the way through. I have ten feet of hose for each carb but once the oil is all they way to the top of the yard stick it will probably flow a lot quicker going down the hoses. Those of you that used this method, do you remember approx how much the oil level rose on the yard stick?

Not so sure it makes a difference but she is a 1981 GS 550 L

As long as you have the carbs bench synced close, and the hoses properly hooked up they wont suck oil into the carbs. Both carbs will be hooked up and sucking (vacuum) and unless one is a lot stronger than the other sucking oil into the carbs is nearly impossible.

Comment

It won't be a problem with a four hose setup, will it?

Comment

Hey we have the same bike!

I think the best tip that I've read is to kinda kink off the lines for the first time. That way if the carbs are completely off from one another the engine won't suck in oil. The kink should slow the oil movement. More or less get them together and then unkink them and finish it off.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully you won't be seeing any new threads from me about getting oil out of the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by B Evil View Post
            Thanks for the tips. Hopefully you won't be seeing any new threads from me about getting oil out of the carbs.
            I just got my bike back from a local Triumph dealer who charged me $60 to synch my 4 - 750 carbs. Appears to be good according to my throttle hand today.

Sometimes it pays to ask around.

Comment

Working...
            X