Slipping out of gear 82 1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slipping out of gear 82 1100e

Searched and found no info. The bike started slipping out of third under acceleration. Sometimes the neutral indicator comes on, sometimes not, but it is definitely in no gear at all.

It has happened from 4th once as well. When in 3 and it pops out, shifting up brings it back to 3, down back to 2. When it slips out in 4th, shifting up takes it back to 4, down back to 3. It appears to be in the right place, just slipping out.

The clutch has started a little dragging when pulled in, and I suspect this is related. No real force to it, but I can feel the pull when sitting at a light.

Suggestions on where to start?

When the bike jumps out of gear like that it is usually because the trans gear engagement dogs are beat up & rounded. The fix is to pull the trans & send it to be undercut. You can pull the trans on a GS motor by just removing the lower case half. You don't need to disassemble the top end at all. Pull the motor out of the bike, remove the case bolts in the top half of the cases, flip the motor upside down & remove the lower case bolts. You also need to remove the clutch hub & the plates behind it that tie the case halves together. You also have to pull the ignition plate. f you don't have one go buy a shop manual to do this job or pay to have it done by someone that knows how to do it CORRECTLY! Ray.

Comment

Damn Ray, that dont sound like much fun.

How many miles ya got on your bike Jedi ? I found by simply lubing the shift arm on the shaft helps alot.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Pulling the bottom case is an intimidating job, but it's totally doable. I helped a friend do it to his GS a while back and it was much easier than I thought. Just keep track of all those bolts!

Comment

Maybe it's the R/R ;-)

JK
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Make a cardboard templet for the bolts, they are different lengths. Take lots of pictures

Comment

I believe the proper response here is "Zoiks". I was hoping for a simple fix, dangit.
              I ain;t gonna have the time for that, guess I'll start looking for someone in Oklahoma City that works on the old ones, and have it done.

What else should i do while I (or they) are in there?

Comment

Pay someone else to get that intimate with your GS?
                Why?
                Your kitchen table was meant for this.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Pay someone else to get that intimate with your GS?
                  Why?
                  Your kitchen table was meant for this.
                  Already been divorced once. not looking to repeat that experience.

Comment

The same issue sidelined my GS750ES at about 56K miles - but only in second gear.

Sourced near-new gears on eBay for less than $40.00 - just haven't actually split the cases yet. Y'know, life and all...

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                    X