Oil out of the air box, WHAT!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil out of the air box, WHAT!!!!!!!

So i have took a couple trips on the bike i finaly got running. check out my thread in GS owners called "first time here! Be gentle! to check out history.

so any way it is a 82 GS850g got it running took a couple rides around the block. was blowing out a little blue smoke on left side pipe. so i knew i needed to fix something today took it out and came back after 10 15 min and turned it off and oil started boring out of the air box. i never check oil levels or changed it sence i got it the other week i was just trying to get it started. so what is it what is going on PLEASE HELP!!!!

Shane

Look at the oil level in your crankcase. If it is high it is pushing it out through the breather. If that's the case you need to drain the oil as it probably has a LOT of gas in it! If it isn't high, it is a case of blow by. Ray.

Comment

Typically when oil pours out of the airbox drain tube you have a blow-by problem and the crankcase is being pressurized. Poor ring seal is often the cause. Another possible reason is if your petcock has failed and gas has flowed backwards down the vacuum line and filled up the crankcase. If your oil level appears to be drastically overfilled this may be the reason. Last thing I can think of is if you have a stuck float needle due to grunge fouling the seal. In that case the float bowl will overflow and flood the airbox with gas. Try to figure out if it's gas coming out of the airbox instead of oil. If it is, pull the carbs and clean them out.

Good luck.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had a small amount of oil coming out the airbox on my 750. Not enough to even be a oil consumption issue. Use about 1/2 quart between oil changes. Just enough to make a small mess below the left side of the airbox. When I removed the valve cover to adjust the valves, I removed the wire mesh from the top of the valve cover. Under this mesh there are a couple of oil drain holes. Both of mine were plugged. I cleaned up the valve cover and cleaned the holes with a tooth pick. They are only about 3/32 inch, so pretty small. I have not run the bike since, but it should make a differance. Last year I also welded a larger drain tube on the bottom of the valve box to direct the oil onto the chain drive instead of running down the side of the bike. Also be sure the wire mesh is in your valve cover. I have heard of some that have been removed, and not replaced. The mesh helps to keep oil in the engine.

What bothers me about your bike is that you said blue smoke was coming out the left side. This could indicate a bad oil control rings, and compression rings, also bad valve seals. It might be time for a engine rebuild.

Greg O
        Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2008, 12:40 AM.

Comment

oh boy engine rebuild would not be good. seeing how i don't have the money to do so. ok i will look into it. there wasn't gas in the oil that came out. but it hasn't been running for a while and the air filter was really oily, like this has happened before. i just rebuilt the carbs to get it running. so don't think it was the carbs. and it kind of putters when it runs

Comment

Give the valve cover a look at, maybe the drain holes are plugged like mine were. LIke I said I haven't tried it yet, but it should make a difference. While in there check the valve clearance if you haven't checked them already. Have you checked the engine compression? If it is low that could also explaine why you are getting oil out the airbox.

Greg O

Comment

Going to start ripping off the valve cover today, is it hard, easy? Any other ideas. maybe the guy before me just put to much oil in? where are the Holes located and how do i measure the hight of the valves?

Shane

Comment

Valve adjustment pictorial guide

Originally posted by SDK View Post
                Going to start ripping off the valve cover today, is it hard, easy? Any other ideas. maybe the guy before me just put to much oil in? where are the Holes located and how do i measure the hight of the valves?

Shane
                Mr. SDK,

You measure the valve clearances between the *properly positioned* cam lobes and the shim. Visit my little BikeCliff website and all (well some, anyway) will be revealed. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Ok so here we go. I pulled the plugs and no oil is on the plugs, (there are black but not oily) so that puts out the ring blow by wouldn't seeing how the blow by would oil up the plugs. so i tested compression and here is what sucks. from the left to the right ( i have no idea what cylinder one is so this is how i will do it. Left cylinder is pushing a 142/145 some where there, in the limits. cylinder in from that is below 120 which sucks meaning that is where my smoke and my problem is coming from. it is around 115 or abouts that. the next one over is about 130 which is still good not great but good. and the next one is about 135 so they are all close except that one. so here is the question. where is a cheap place to buy rings for the pistons and what else would i need to fix that?

Comment

Honestly, if it's still running fine you don't have a big problem. I'd guess that most of the smoke was from oil in the airbox - if you're ingesting oil you're going to be burning it, so of course you get smoke.

Is 120 good? No. Does it mean you need to rering the engine for a bike to just have fun on? Also no.

Comment

You didnt say how long the bike had been sitting up or how many miles are on it. It could be nothing more serious than a stuck ring needing a bit of running to free up. I would check valve clearances too. If the valves are out of spec, too little clearance, that could cause the compression losses. The same low compression on all cylinders is normal with high milage and wear, but big differences between cylinders is usually not. You may need nothing more than some maintenance adjustments. Also, an overly oily air filter will cause black plugs.

Earl
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

The bike was sitting for 2 to 3 years and the air filter did have a lot of oil on it to begin with, I just hadn't have time to get one yet. so ok. I will check valve clearance and maybe try running with out an air filter and see if i get that smoke. Thats a good sign that i might not have to rebuild the motor.. Thanks guys i will keep you informed and what I'm doing, keep your thoughts coming

Shane

Comment

Working...
                        X