78' gs750b questions... several... help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78' gs750b questions... several... help please

First and foremost I would like to give a huge thanks to this great site and members for helping me this far. Thanks, I picked up this bike and was told it ran great when parked..... Don't they all? So I painted first (when hanging the tank to paint, wrap wire darn good on both ends, as I created bondo spot #2 with a thud and a few words) looks great but won't run.

1. When attempting to start the carb drips gas out of #4 bleeder on bottom (needs a job, new o'rings, intake o rings Thanks cycleorings.com and cleaning) What gaskets will I need sounds like I need to pop off side cover to crank engine? I believe I have a VM carb.

2. Where can a guy get the boots from airbox to carbs? Mine are good to bad left to right.

3. I adjusted my clutch feels great however it doesn't disengage from gear from reading on this great site I believe I need to get it running place in first gear, give gas and slam on rear brakes while on center stand. Is this the best way?

4. Are GS's as great as they look? I keep sitting on the thing pretending to ride \\/ can't wait for the real deal[-o<!
    Thanks to all for help and advice,
    P.S. Im guessing there are other GS members out here in Spokane and surrounding 've been seeing some great bikes!

Sounds like you are on the right track: rebuild the carbs with new O-rings, replace the intake boot O-rings, and clean everything out proper like. The typical newbie is afraid to take the carbs fully apart and thus they don't go far enough the first time and wind up pulling the carbs multipul times until they do the job properly. Don't be one of those people.

Air box boots are p/n 13728-45010

While the carbs are off you should check the valve clearances. Lots of info in the archives here on how to do the job. Valve cover gasket will be needed. To turn the engine over you need to remove the ignition engine cover. There is a gasket on it but typically you can reuse it since it's not in oil.

Good luck and welcome to the GSR.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks, I have ordered the snapon valve measure 5 something with free shipping from the link on the site, will do valve clearance check thanks.

Dumb question but do I need to drain the oil to open the ignition engine cover? I want to do it right, I changed oil and would like to run before changing again to mix and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by altermad View Post
        Thanks, I have ordered the snapon valve measure 5 something with free shipping from the link on the site, will do valve clearance check thanks.

Dumb question but do I need to drain the oil to open the ignition engine cover? I want to do it right, I changed oil and would like to run before changing again to mix and clean.
        No, it's dry inside the ignition cover.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

1. When attempting to start the carb drips gas out of #4 bleeder on bottom (needs a job, new o'rings, intake o rings Thanks cycleorings.com and cleaning) What gaskets will I need sounds like I need to pop off side cover to crank engine? I believe I have a VM carb.
          Oring set from Robert Barr.

3. I adjusted my clutch feels great however it doesn't disengage from gear from reading on this great site I believe I need to get it running place in first gear, give gas and slam on rear brakes while on center stand. Is this the best way?
          Ride it in 1st gear, about two thousand or so RPM, hold the clutch lever in, crack the throttle open and shut quickly. Get the drive chain lashing back and forth, it should break the clutch free.

4. Are GS's as great as they look?
          Yes.
          Welcome to the GSR.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X