Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 850 bodywork onto '83 1100?

hi guys

i would like to get a gs1000 that i could restore (year 1981 or older - i like the round shaped tank)
    so, i've been looking at getting one but couldn't find any for sale in the last year! (small market over here i guess)

anyhow, there's an '83 1100g for sale now so i'm wondering if the bodywork (the tank, tailpiece and side panels) of my '80 850g would fit onto the '83 1100g frame

i know that the frames have changed in '82 but these were only minor changes, right?
    GS850GT

and here's my 850
    GS850GT

Comment

huh, anyone
      GS850GT

Comment

According to the on-line parts fishe, the tanks bolt on differently. You might want to check for yourself to confirm but I don't think an early tank will fit on an '83.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tried this one many moons ago mate & nothing fits without moving all the mounting brackets etc

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
            Tried this one many moons ago mate & nothing fits without moving all the mounting brackets etc
            bummer! would you possibly know then if the 1100 engine fits into the 850 frame???
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              According to the on-line parts fishe, the tanks bolt on differently. You might want to check for yourself to confirm but I don't think an early tank will fit on an '83.
              thanks nessism
              i figured this but hoped it's just the BOLT (bracket) positioning, and that the tank would otherwise fit easily
              the best would be if i could try it for real but the seller of the bike in question is not too keen on my little experiments, and i don't know anyone with an 1100 here that i could ask to play around
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                bummer! would you possibly know then if the 1100 engine fits into the 850 frame???
                Yes, it does. You'll need the carb boots, airbox, and driveshaft from the 1100, but the engine bolts in.

The tank, sidecovers, seat, and tail section do not interchange -- all are mounted in different ways between the later and earlier models.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Yes, it does. You'll need the carb boots, airbox, and driveshaft from the 1100, but the engine bolts in.

The tank, sidecovers, seat, and tail section do not interchange -- all are mounted in different ways between the later and earlier models.
                  thanks. good to know more about my options

i imagine the carbs would also need to be from the 1100, right?
                  and the back wheel? (since the driveshaft is different)
                  GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                  X