Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lookout carbs, we're coming in!...(hoping for some help too!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookout carbs, we're coming in!...(hoping for some help too!)

Okay guys, I've read and studied enough. Now it's time to put it to use. For those that would say take it to someone that knows what they are doing before I mess it up, I would only say that I paid $400 for the bike to tinker with and learn something. If I blow it up today, it's already been worth it. I'm making my way through the carb cleaning manual and have the #1 carb body soaking in Berrymans right now. I also have a new set of o-rings (and rebuild kits which I know you guys say not to use). I also have a few questions for those willing to help.

1) For all the pieces that I cannot soak in the carb dip, how do you guys clean them? See pic below for some of them. I'm talking about the float, vent "T", fuel inlet "T", throttle valve (slide), CV boot", etc. Basically, anything with plastic or rubber on it.

2) For the metal pieces that I can't fit in the Berryman's, how did you clean them? For example, the "gang" plates, choke actuation rail, idle adjustment piece.

3) See pic of fuel inlet needle valve seat assembly below. Now it has a rubber ring on it, a plastic ring and a small screen. How do you clean this one? Does the plastic screen and ring come off? If so, how do you get it off? I'm not sure right now if my o-ring kit has a new one of these either. Gotta check.

4) Pilot jet - all was going well taking apart carb #1 until I got to the pilot jet. It doesn't help that you can't see down in there very well either. I could not even find the driver slot in the top of the jet for my screwdriver. Looking with my flashlight, it looked to be all boogered up by someone else. At least, that's what I'm claiming! I know y'all are going to cringe at this, but I had to take my smallest drill bit and carefully put a small hole in the end and use my smallest bolt extractor to get it out. Now even though I have 4 sets of aftermarket rebuild kits, I intended to use the original parts as I've read these kits are not as good. So can I get another Mikuni pilot jet or am I stuck using my replacement part?

I really do appreciate any help you can provide!

After some choice words and about an hour, I got them out!

On the operating table...

Carb #1 broken down...

Fuel inlet needle valve seat assembly...

For the parts that you can/should not dip, use some carb cleaner spray and a toothbrush.
    For larger parts or heavier deposits, use a ScotchBrite pad or some very fine steel wool to help remove the deposits.

Hopefully you got your 'carb kits' before you got the inspiration. That way you can claim ignorance and good intent.
    If you got them after the o-rings, the money was just plain wasted.
    Well, it was probably wasted either way, but if you don't open the kits, you might entice some other un-informed person on eBay to take them off your hands. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      For the parts that you can/should not dip, use some carb cleaner spray and a toothbrush.
      For larger parts or heavier deposits, use a ScotchBrite pad or some very fine steel wool to help remove the deposits.

Hopefully you got your 'carb kits' before you got the inspiration. That way you can claim ignorance and good intent.
      If you got them after the o-rings, the money was just plain wasted.
      Well, it was probably wasted either way, but if you don't open the kits, you might entice some other un-informed person on eBay to take them off your hands. 8-[

Hey Steve, thanks for the response. Actually, the kits came with the bike so I didn't buy them. Do you have any ideas on #3 and #4 of my questions?

Also, do you clean the CV boot and slide or do you leave them alone? That rubber boot looks pretty sensitive.

Thanks
      Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Robert Barr's o-ring kit included new o-rings for the float seat so you can remove that old one. To clean, use spray carb cleaner. You want to look inside at the seat area to make sure there is not any wear, also no wear on the needle itself.

Not sure what to suggest about getting the pilot jet out. Left hand drill bits are common method but you might want to look for a expert in your area.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

hey Chuckster,

I am in Lawrenceville, GA and am about to tear down my carbs on my 1980 GS550L. We should get together an compare notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Robert Barr's o-ring kit included new o-rings for the float seat so you can remove that old one. To clean, use spray carb cleaner. You want to look inside at the seat area to make sure there is not any wear, also no wear on the needle itself.

Not sure what to suggest about getting the pilot jet out. Left hand drill bits are common method but you might want to look for a expert in your area.

Good luck.
            Hey Nessism, thanks for the response. How about the brown looking plastic ring and screen on the fuel inlet needle valve seat assembly (see pic above)? Do they come off? If so, how? Didn't want to break that plastic ring with some plyers or something!

I got the pilot jet out with a bolt extractor. :-D

Got any idea where to get genuine Mikuni pilot jet replacements? And are they expensive? Like I said before, I have 4 kits that came with the bike, but I was trying not to use them. I may depending on how expensive replacements are!
            Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuvalox View Post
              hey Chuckster,

I am in Lawrenceville, GA and am about to tear down my carbs on my 1980 GS550L. We should get together an compare notes.
              Hey Tuvalox, you are on the other side of town from me. I'm in Marietta.

I'd be glad to compare notes and share anything I've learned from this process with you.

I'll keep in touch! :-D

Comment

Pilot jets are sold by dealers or on-line at the usual places - bikebandit.com, flat out cycle, motogrid, alpha sports, ect. Considering you already have the jet kits, I'd just use a pilot out of one of the kits.

The screen is press-fit onto the seat but I'd be afraid to pull it off since it may crack. Just spray it real good and look inside to make sure it's clean.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Pilot jets are sold by dealers or on-line at the usual places - bikebandit.com, flat out cycle, motogrid, alpha sports, ect. Considering you already have the jet kits, I'd just use a pilot out of one of the kits.

The screen is press-fit onto the seat but I'd be afraid to pull it off since it may crack. Just spray it real good and look inside to make sure it's clean.
                  Thanks!

I see from your sig line, you sold your 1981 GS550. That was a beauty. You got a 1982 (recent?) that you're redoing now?

Comment

i got mine from bikebandit.

Comment

The screens come off with a small flat (standard) screw driver.

If you have no reason to take them off; I'd leave them on.

I too have buggered up pilot jets from a PO and ordered four new for 5.60 a piece OEM at prosourcemotorsports.com

I put the carb body in the Berryman’s for 30 mins and as I was pulling the carb out I swished them up and down a bit.

I then threw the body in a bucket of hot soapy water and swished the carb around in there before I blew it dry with shop air.

As far as cleaning the slides, I used a bit of carb dip on a shop rag and whipped the parts down and cleaned them that way.

A used tooth brush works well to help remove any stubborn goo. Be sure to clean the carb bore as well with a tooth brush after the dip before cleansing with soap.

Also ensure that all orafices are free and clear!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
                        Hey Nessism, thanks for the response. How about the brown looking plastic ring and screen on the fuel inlet needle valve seat assembly (see pic above)? Do they come off? If so, how? Didn't want to break that plastic ring with some plyers or something!

I got the pilot jet out with a bolt extractor. :-D

Got any idea where to get genuine Mikuni pilot jet replacements? And are they expensive? Like I said before, I have 4 kits that came with the bike, but I was trying not to use them. I may depending on how expensive replacements are!
                        Chuckster,

I soaked my fuel inlet needle valve assembly in the carb cleaner and it did fine. I am not telling you to do the same, just letting you know what I did. With the pilot jet replacements. I bought mine at www.bikebandit.com. They were in the same condition as yours. Someone down the line had messed with them and tore the heads up a bit. i used my small bolt extractor to pull them out, it was easy. I am replacing all four; I think $6.00 a piece. Since you have the kit you should compare the pilot jet with one you puled out. Are there any differences?

Cory

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                          i got mine from bikebandit.
                          Thanks for the info! Nice looking bike you have too, Catbed! That's what I'd really like to have. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                            The screens come off with a small flat (standard) screw driver.

If you have no reason to take them off; I'd leave them on.

I too have buggered up pilot jets from a PO and ordered four new for 5.60 a piece OEM at prosourcemotorsports.com

I put the carb body in the Berryman’s for 30 mins and as I was pulling the carb out I swished them up and down a bit.

I then threw the body in a bucket of hot soapy water and swished the carb around in there before I blew it dry with shop air.

As far as cleaning the slides, I used a bit of carb dip on a shop rag and whipped the parts down and cleaned them that way.

A used tooth brush works well to help remove any stubborn goo. Be sure to clean the carb bore as well with a tooth brush after the dip before cleansing with soap.

Also ensure that all orafices are free and clear!
                            I'll do that. Thanks for all the tips! Love you bike by the way. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
                              Chuckster,

I soaked my fuel inlet needle valve assembly in the carb cleaner and it did fine. I am not telling you to do the same, just letting you know what I did. With the pilot jet replacements. I bought mine at www.bikebandit.com. They were in the same condition as yours. Someone down the line had messed with them and tore the heads up a bit. i used my small bolt extractor to pull them out, it was easy. I am replacing all four; I think $6.00 a piece. Since you have the kit you should compare the pilot jet with one you puled out. Are there any differences?

Cory
                              Thanks for the info Cory. I've bought stuff from Bikebandit before. I like them. Didn't know they carried that stuff too. Nice to know! :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X