Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brake light w/ front/rear brake engaged

(1982 GS 650GLZ)

Hey guys its been a while since I have had to post on this section because the bike has been doing great. Although last fall before I winterized it I noticed I was not getting any thing for a brake signal when I engaged the front brake. And the brake light only works if I jam on the rear/b fully engaged. Also the Front headlight is only working as a high beam it does not work on low beam. Does this sound like the regulator is shot or do I need to replace the wiring harness? I hope it is not going to be anexpensive fix, so please give me some good news that it may be a simple fix. Thank you in advance for all your replies...

P.S. I have changed the fuses and it definatley is not that either

Warming up in New England

Originally posted by GSFAN06 View Post
    (1982 GS 650GLZ)

Hey guys its been a while since I have had to post on this section because the bike has been doing great. Although last fall before I winterized it I noticed I was not getting any thing for a brake signal when I engaged the front brake. And the brake light only works if I jam on the rear/b fully engaged. Also the Front headlight is only working as a high beam it does not work on low beam. Does this sound like the regulator is shot or do I need to replace the wiring harness? I hope it is not going to be anexpensive fix, so please give me some good news that it may be a simple fix. Thank you in advance for all your replies...

P.S. I have changed the fuses and it definatley is not that either

Warming up in New England
    Nothing to do with the regulator, brake light switches must not be switching, the headlight could be a switch not working or the bulb itself.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If regulator is allowing over charging it could have blown the low beam filament. Go through the stator papers to check out the electrical system. Doesn't take long, only an hour or so. If that checks out OK then you can eliminate the alternator and regulator/rectifier. Then you can start looking at brake switches and the like and checking out the wiring diagram and chasing out for other possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Nothing to do with the regulator, brake light switches must not be switching, the headlight could be a switch not working or the bulb itself.

I replaced the headlight bulb and it was still not working on low or regular. What is the remedy for the brake light switches?

Comment

I replaced the headlight bulb and it was still not working on low or regular. What is the remedy for the brake light switches?
          Turn the ignition on and operate the brake switches manually. Check with multi meter that there is 12v power to one side of the switch. Check any earths in the circuits are grounded properly with multimeter.

Trace low beam circuit back from headlight with low beam circuit switched on. Check at each connector for voltage. See if voltage gets to handle bar on/off light switch and low beam switch. I am talking about an Ozzie model where we can turn our headlight on and off. I don't know if in the US you had the permanently on all the time headlights. If so allow for this when testing with the multimeter.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I can't speak to the headlight issue, but I did recently have to replace the front switch. The part is $20 from bike bandit. In my case the little plastic slider was worn out. You may have dirt in there or some other contact problem. It is strange that all this happened to both at once. (You didn't ride through a sandstorm did you?) These switches aren't bad to take apart and inspect, just be ready for tiny parts and a spring to pop out. I have heard of a pressure sensing banjo fitting switch, but unfortunately have no link to one.

Good luck, I hope it's an easy fix.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Do a search for 'brake light switch' (on here) and you will get lots of useful tips and links.

Comment

Working...
              X