tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tachometer

my tachometer started to not work after i took the tach cable out to polish the cover. before i took them off, there was no problem at all. then it was ridden for about 50 miles and the tachometer started to work better and it moves fine until about 5-6 and then it bounces back and forth. i really dont wont to cut the gauges apart to fix it. any suggestions?

Did the square "peg" at the end of the cable definitely seat in female socket in the tacho ?. I had a similar problem a while ago, turned out to be just that, it was a cheap aftermarket cable though. Might explain why the tacho did`nt work then started to, if the peg is`nt quite home it might engage a little but slip, which could explain the bouncing needle. Only other time the needles bounced on mine was when the cable was frayed and about to snap. Might be worth checking.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

i took the cable out of its jacket it looked fine. i also took the cable out of its jacket and put it in the tach without the jacket so i knew it went in far enough and spun it. still didnt work well.

Comment

Something I did

Another member suggested oiling the tach/speedo at the cable input. Use a light oil like All-in-One or a 10-15 wt (maybe fork oil but not wd-40). Oil between the bushing and the housing where the cable goes.

Also I used a pretty heavy wheel bearing grease on my cable (plenty inserted cable from both sides to get plenty and evenly distributed inside the cable). That smoothed out my speedo bounce at 60-70 mph considerably.

Good Luck

Posplayr

Comment

Don't fill the cable with oil and run it because it will create a suction and suck oil out of your head and all over your pant legs. Take the cable out of it's skin and oil it and make sure all the extra is drained out.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Not high jacking but that is my exactl problem as well on mine... my tach started jumping like crazy then nothing I checked the cable and tried to use a electric drill to spin it but I could not get my needles to jump at all.. I wanted to feed a bit directly into the guages but I don't have one that will fit....same goes for the speedo... would kind of like to test my new cluster I bought but I can't seem to spin it hard enough to trigger the guages..

what the heck is going on....

Comment

Working...
            X