Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bearing ignorance

Hi.

Pulled both wheels off, had new tires mounted. Took good advice and bought wheel bearings, front (1 each) and rear (1 each). For some reason, it made sense, one bearing per wheel. However, it appears that the front wheel has 2. The rear has 1 on the right side, the other is in the final drive unit. Do I replace the bearing in the final drive as preventative maint.?

I'm going to have to make another trip to the bearing store to get another front, just want to know if it be wise to get into the final drive unit.

Appreciate it.

Rick

On your bike (GS1000G, right?), there are 2 identical bearings in each wheel. Always replace them both.

The left rear bearing is not part of the final drive unit -- it's pressed into the wheel the same as the other side. Look a little closer and you'll see what I mean.

There's a spacer in between the bearings. Don't forget to put that back.

The bearings are standard metric sizes, available virtually anywhere machinery is used for $5 each or less -- in your case (all GS850 and bigger shafties, and many other bikes), they're 6302 in the front, 6303 in the rear. Get the 2RS versions -- 2RS simply means two rubber seals, meaning they're sealed on both sides.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks Brian. Yep, 1000g. I did get out to the shed and looked at the rear closer. I may take these 2 I bought back, I paid over 30 bucks for 1 of each size.... So, do ya think TSC has them?

Wish it would quit with the winter crap so I can get going on this thing. Sucks not having a garage and working out of a shed that has way too much other stuff in it. Goal is to have it road-ready enough to make one of the Brown County days.[-o<

Appreaciate it.

Rick

Comment

Farm stores, auto and truck parts stores should have these bearings, but prices vary quite a bit.

Don't fuss too much about the brand or origin of the bearings -- on a motorcycle, they're very lightly loaded compared to what they're rated to withstand.

Stash 'em in the freezer for a while before you install them, and they'll be a LOT easier to install. If you can heat up the wheel with a heat gun for a bit, that also helps.

See you in Brown County!
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I was going to try the freezer trick. Anything to help...

Hope to see ya there too.

Rick

Comment

Ordered 2 pair, each size, from Z1 Enterprizes for about 26 bucks, shipped.

Not too bad. Should be here sometime next week, say 'bout when temps are supposed to be near 50 again!

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X