No announcement yet.

Convert to single disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The single disc models, such as the GS750T, used a larger disc than dual disc bikes. The master cylinder piston is also smaller diameter to reduce hand force required. If you go single you might want to consider converting to pure single disc model parts for best performance.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
      LOL thats what I have been thinking about, mounting one of those tikosumthin dual piston calipers on the right.
      How is that done exactly? Do they bolt up, or do you have to make a special adapter bracket?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        How is that done exactly? Do they bolt up, or do you have to make a special adapter bracket?
        I doubt they will mount up so I will have to make a bracket.

Comment

"You can drive with your feet if you want to. That doesn't make it a good idea."

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
            What if you made the roters lighter by drilling holes in them, like the newer bikes have. In that case you can keep your braking and lose a little weight.

2cents

Cory
            All 1980+ GS models have slotted rotors already.

My VX800 has a single front rotor, and the borderline inadequate brake is one of the most universally hated features of that bike. It weighs 70 pounds less than a GS850, and uses a larger diameter rotor and a dual piston caliper. Braking is almost barely acceptable with a stainless brake line, and only if you're not carrying a passenger or much luggage. Brake pads wear out every 3,000 - 4,000 miles, and the rotors don't last long either. Several VX owners have transplanted Bandit front ends just to get adequate brakes.

But hey, it's your bike. You don't know until you give it a try. You'd need a M/C sized for a single brake system and you'd likely want to make up a stainless brake line and new brake pads to get the most from a pretty marginal setup.

If you decide you like it, removing the caliper lugs from one of the fork legs should be trivial for a badass motorscooter chopper fella. Saw, grind, file, and polish.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My Bandit 12 weighs about 75 lbs less than your GS and has dual rotors and six piston calipers. I would not mind at all having MORE front brake capability.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Yeah we were all running around on drum brakes, when the bikes had less displacement and didnt weigh nearly as much. I think the only bike ive ever owned with even a rear drum has been 550 or smaller. And all of them had front disc. I cant imagine stopping a 750 on drums, let alone an 850. Didnt the 750 T have a drum in back and single disc in front?

Comment

I have changed dual calipers to a single before. You can do the whole transformation in 30 minutes, so why not just try it and see if you like it?

Take the caliper and hose off. Plug the hose connection port with a solid bolt. Done.

Ride it around and see if you like it. You can replace the hose to the single caliper with a stainless steel unit for added stopping power.

I think you'll be alright.

Comment

Working...
                  X