gs1100 front fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 front fork

so I have decided to do a complete teardown and restoration of my gs1100. I have got the front forks off and everything pulled apart except for the damper controls. any suggestions how to get the brass part pictured, that adjusts the dampening rate of the front forks? I see some notches but what do i use to get em out? while we are on it how do you get them lined up properly when you reassemble them so you have the same dampening rate when they are reassembled. any input is greatly appreciated as the factory service manual and hanes don't really touch on it.

I was also curious what the other part pictured is, only guess i had was some early frame sliders, really i have no clue. just wondering if anyone else has em, if they are stock and what the heck they are for. again thanks for the help.

nick
    Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2008, 11:24 PM. Reason: forgot pics

Comment

The rebound adjuster can be removed by unscrewing the slotted nut you mentioned. You need to either buy or make a tool to remove it. I made one by drilling a hole in the end of a piece of round bar to clear the adjuster stem, then filing the end to leave two nibs sticking out that went into the slots on the nut. Once that nut is out you can pull the adjuster free. You may have to pull pretty hard, it is held in place by an o-ring in the bore.

There are only 4 positions for the adjusters and it isn't hard to set them to the same place when you reinstall them, this should make more sense after you see everything apart.

The steel tab looks like a bungee mounting point to me, but my 1100E doesn't have them, so I am not positive.

Mark

Comment

Can't help you with the forks, but the other piece you are asking about is a mount for a K&G luggage rack. I just acquired a set just like that on the 850 that my son got. The rack came with it (in a box) so I held it up and it fits perfectly. The front of the rack reaches forward to the upper shock mounts, the rear bolts to the pieces on your bike. I suspect that a carriage bolt fits into the square holes then through the rack, then are capped by an acorn nut for looks.

Last edited by Steve; 03-08-2008, 12:34 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you guys rock, thanks. questions answered. if anyone needs some mounting points for a luggage rack let me know:-D. (cost of shipping)

thanks,
          nick

Comment

Working...
          X