Threebond 1211 alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threebond 1211 alternatives?

I have red, blue, black, white rtv silicone. can I use one of these instead of 1211? I figured the black since it's internal sealant. any advice?
    also, I have a 1978 GS750 and I'm trying to seal the o-ring on the cylinder where the cam chain comes through (as per clymer manual.)
    -DN

Wouldn't you need a sealant that is specifically labelled as "anaerobic" , since it would have to cure in the absence of oxygen?

Comment

Well, let's forget about the rtv I have. Is there a good alternative to threebond 1211 that I can buy at autozone or some such. The two bike shops I know of in town don't have any 1211 in stock.

Comment

The "O" ring is the seal. Why would you need a sealant?

Earl

Originally posted by DoctorNick View Post
        I have red, blue, black, white rtv silicone. can I use one of these instead of 1211? I figured the black since it's internal sealant. any advice?
        also, I have a 1978 GS750 and I'm trying to seal the o-ring on the cylinder where the cam chain comes through (as per clymer manual.)
        -DN
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Look hare for info. It looks like it is made to only hold the o ring in place till it gets captured. I do not know your specific application here so I would play it by ear. Does it look to you like it is a sloppy fit for the o ring?

Scott

Comment

I'm not at all sure what you're trying to do, but if you're just trying to stick an o-ring into place during assembly, Hylomar might be what you need.

It's a very thick, sticky bright blue goo that never hardens and is resistant to just about everything -- oil, gas, heat, etc.

It's also good for helping gaskets seal on munged-up aluminum surfaces.

You can get Hylomar at most auto parts stores. I think Autozone has it.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              The "O" ring is the seal. Why would you need a sealant?

Earl
              I don't know why. it's in the clymer manual for my bike (1978 GS 750.)
              But my question wasn't why do I need it.
              Doesn't matter anyhow, I was working with a friend on his bike (1980 yamaha xs850) and he had half a tube left. He works on a lot of older jap bikes and says this stuff is commonly rebranded per company (ie kawabond yamabond suzukibond)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                I'm not at all sure what you're trying to do, but if you're just trying to stick an o-ring into place during assembly, Hylomar might be what you need.

It's a very thick, sticky bright blue goo that never hardens and is resistant to just about everything -- oil, gas, heat, etc.

It's also good for helping gaskets seal on munged-up aluminum surfaces.

You can get Hylomar at most auto parts stores. I think Autozone has it.

thanks! sounds like good stuff. I think I'll pick some up for the S-10 I'm overhauling.

Comment

Go down to your closest Suzuki dealer & ask for a tube of Threebond 1207B. It is the BEST you can get! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X