Purchased 1979 GS 850G in "new" condition, now wha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchased 1979 GS 850G in "new" condition, now wha

Safety first, so I want to have a mechanic check it out and drain the brake, fork, gear, oil fluids and replace. Is there a chance with the wet gaskets that I could have problems here. Also bike is very cold natured is this the breed, or should I have the carbies tuned too. I will replace the fork seals and battery with a sealed/gel type, are there any rubber parts that would be ready to go as well, what tires would be a good sport/tour match?

PS Nice job on the GS pages here.

Yes, GS's are cold blooded. The best tires I found for my BMW R100RS were the Continental Conti Twins, great handling both dry and wet. Should be sizes for your bike. Still trying different types for my GS700.

Comment

Drain and replace the fluids, but beyond that, just see how it runs. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Particularly, if it runs ok, leave the carbs alone. I have an 850, they are very cold blooded. And congrats on getting one of the nicest, and most reliable bikes ever made.

Comment

So even though it has 17K on it, just let it go without a tune up as is for a time and see how she runs under regular use? How long do you think I should go before I have the timing and all adjusted? What time frame for starting up would be a good routine(normal) before hitting the street?

Comment

79 850 Probably has points. If so may want to upgrade to electronic ignition sometime in the future, however like it's been said, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Looks like you're thinking about tires which is good. Even if the tread looks good tires may have cracks in the sidewalls. Don't forget about the tubes....

Comment

79 850 Probably has points. If so may want to upgrade to electronic ignition sometime in the future, however like it's been said, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Looks like you're thinking about tires which is good. Even if the tread looks good tires may have cracks in the sidewalls. Don't forget about the tubes....

Comment

I put 5K miles on my 79 GS850 last year No problems at all with point ign
              so I would leave it alone. The tipical starting proceedure is turn the fuel valve to prime for 2-3 seconds and then turn back to on position, then give the bike full choke NO throtle, and start it. I would also Clean the electrical connections for the reg/rec/stator and add a extra ground wire from the reg/rec mounting bolt direct to the (-) battery terminal. then check the charging system voltage.

Comment

Very good, I will include this in my service list to be done. Thank you very much for all who have given me input. I am getting to know this motor as I go along much like a honeymoon of sorts. I guess I like my bike like I do my gal, a little older with a story to tell. This one so far is very nice.
                ~M~

Comment

With 17K on it you might want to think about checking/adjusting the valve clearances (unless you know that it has been done within the last 5K. Too tight of a valve clearance can can burn the valve. If it runs good I wouldn't even touch the carbs. I had an 850G and didn't have to adjust the carbs until I had 40K on it. Are you planning to pay a mechanic to change the fluids ??? It's not that difficult if you get an aftermarket manual and you can save some $$. Also, take a look at the brake pads to see how much lining is left.

Comment

congrats on getting that 850! wonderful bike. I bought one for my wife last year. it is an 850L and it fits here nicely because of the lower seating.
                    When we got it it needed a good going over and we changed out all the fluids and checked the brake pads, and tuned up the carb sync. Other than that it has been running like a bull except for a sick starter and needing a new tank. Will be working on the tank swap this weekend, Actually the tank swap is only for looks and not for any mechanical problem! Cheaper to replace with OEM than repaint!
                    GY

Get some picks of your bike posted so we can all enjoy!

Comment

Gerry......you said:
                      I bought one for my wife last year. it is an 850L and it fits here nicely because of the lower seating.
                      Is her bike modified/lowered any? I tend to find the seating on my 850L kind of high (I think it's 32" from ground). If you did do something to lower it somewhat, what was it?
                      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

No, it is stock except for air shocks in the rear. Maybe a little lower but not much. It is a lot lower than my GS1100G though. My wife has a 28 inch inseem and she love the L model!
                        GY

Comment

Although I do have a location to do the fluid change I am wanting a mechanic to check it over anyway for anything that he/she would notice that I would not. Once I know I have a good foundation of checks and balances, I will feel more confident doing regular interval type stuff. I have a Clymer M376 manual and the original owners book to the bike. Past the tires and fluids, I think it will be ok, I will just have to see. I owned a 95 BMW K75RTA prior to this motor, a down sizing in my position after 911 required the sale of this beautiful machine to a very lucky man in Michigan. I was able to pick the GS850G up for $1900 in I believe "new" condition, I could probably ride it into the sunset today, but I want to have a good start to a long relationship. It will be a good while before I can afford an R1150RT. I need to take good care of this ride, plus I am considering a daily run with this motor(short distance) and I was a weekender on the brick(K bike). I enjoyed reading Nick's find in some past pages, sounds like I will be able to develop some real love for this motor. ~M~

Comment

Working...
                          X