Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buggered main jet

hi guys,

in pulling my carbs apart, i found the screw slot in the main jets on 2 of the carbs are a bit torn up from whoever worked on them before. will this affect running? do i need to replace them, or is it no problem? thanks!!
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Probably won't hurt, the metering orifice down inside the jet is a lot smaller than the part out by the screw heads. You might remove any burrs or places where the shape is obviously different than it used to be.
    Did it run oK?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey Greg, are you an Aussie?

Comment

did it run ok? well....I thought it ran pretty well before, but i found a cracked intake o-ring, and i am due for a valve adjustment, and i am a reasonably new rider, so running well to me might not necessarily mean anything. but, yeah, it seemed to run ok.

am i an aussie? ha. no, but i play one on t.v., thus the BLOODY GREAT accent ....
        i am in michigan. i should put that in my header, probably.....

thanks again guys, no matter what newb stupid obvious question i have i always get a response!!!!!

greg
        1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          did it run ok? well....I thought it ran pretty well before, but i found a cracked intake o-ring, and i am due for a valve adjustment, and i am a reasonably new rider, so running well to me might not necessarily mean anything. but, yeah, it seemed to run ok.

am i an aussie? ha. no, but i play one on t.v., thus the BLOODY GREAT accent ....
          i am in michigan. i should put that in my header, probably.....

thanks again guys, no matter what newb stupid obvious question i have i always get a response!!!!!

greg

You remind me of myself. I rebuilt my dad's carbs, new o-rings, dipped, sync'd and wow what a difference. So then I go to look at my carbs, even though the bike runs great, and I can move vent tubes with ease, the rubber plug inside the bowl basically falls out of the pilot jet hole and figured I might as well do mine as well.

Upon further inspection, I found my pilot jets to be buggered up something fierce, so at 5.60 a pop from Suzi, I ordered up four new ones and rubber plugs to seal up the holes. If nothing else it's piece of mind and an ease of disassembly ten years from now. Main jets can be removed with pliers if the screw slot is opened up a bit, but the pilot jets had me worried; I was able to remove them with ease though.

I too believe that you would be ok with running your mains the way they are. You could also post up a pic if you are still unsure.

Comment

Working...
          X