X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550 start trouble

Hi there

My GS 550 81 has some trouble starting.
    When cold, it can start and run for 1 second and then it dies. After that it is almost impossible to start again (100m running, or 40 seconds on the starter :?), at which point it runs OK. I've checked spark plugs and fuel, and none of them seems to be the problem.
    So, anyone got some tips for what I should be looking into?

Has it always done this or just suddenly started?
    Have you ever adjusted the valve clearances?
    Are you using the choke?
    Don't understand the 100m running, takes 40 seconds to restart?
    Runs OK or runs correctly? Is the power, throttle response, gas mileage all as it should be?

How did you check spark plugs and fuel?

How do the plugs look after it has been running a while?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It has been doing it for a little while now.
      Haven't adjusted the valve clearance.
      Using choke (can't start without).

It starts when I run 100m with it in gear, og using the electrical starter for about 40 seconds.

Checked for spark on the spark plugs, no problem there. I've checked the fuel line to see if there is any flow, and it seems fine.

It runs fine when it's started, throttle and gas mileage seems to be fine too.
      The air/fuel mixture isn't right on 2 & 3, but that shouldn't affect how it's starting?

Comment

Does it have any compression?
        If you can run 1000meters in gear it may not have any.
        Or you have a steep hill.

Comment

Haven't measured that... It was checked out by a mechanic a year ago, so I would guess it ought to have some compression.
          Well... you know... Running 30m with the clutch in, and then releasing it... not 100m in gear.. (well... didn't know how to explain it, but I hope you get my drift..)

As I said.. It runs fine when its started, but getting it to start is the whole problem

Comment

"It runs fine when its started, but getting it to start is the whole problem"

It's hard to say but I'd start with the valve adjustment. They get tighter as they age, running with them too tight will cause hard starting and eventually will burn the valves so they can't ever seal. Cheap to fix now, expensive and time consuming to fix after that happens. There is a tutorial in Basscliff's welcome which you will soon find out about. I think you have a two valve engine, you will need a valve cover gasket and a few shims... a few basic hand tools. It's all good fun.

Check the compression before and after the adjustment, it will tell you more than I can.

If you need help post your location, there are GSers everywhere that live for this stuff.

Good luck.
            Last edited by tkent02; 03-10-2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X