'80 GS750 E or L Tanks - Swappable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS750 E or L Tanks - Swappable?

Hello there. I have a '80 gs750L and am having problems finding an L tank for it. Will the '80 GS750E tank fit without any major issues? I have stock everything and am just looking for a clean tank. Thanks in advance.

At least the forward mounting points will need to be moved farther forward, just relocate the little pin. Not sure after that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I dont think so. At least not without changing the entire mount config. The E tank has a horizontal bolt, the L has one (or two?) vertical bolts. I do believe on the pre 1980 750s, you could swap the tanks, but not on the later models.

Comment

The L tank has the two vertical bolts and is a different shape than the E or G tanks. Is your stock tank 4 1/2 gallons? If so the 850 & 1000 & possibly 1100 tanks should fit yours or be very just to increase your odds on finding a tank. I have not tried to swap them from bike to bike but i think the capacity and mounting similar among the "L" models.
        82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

When saying the vertical or horizonal mounting holes, i assume you mean the ones at the back of the tank. If so mine has one that is mostly horizonal (sits at a slight angle) and has the 2 C shaped holds at the front. I'm not 100% sure on capacity but i will check tonight when i get home.

Comment

Originally posted by basic View Post
            Hello there. I have a '80 gs750L and am having problems finding an L tank for it. Will the '80 GS750E tank fit without any major issues? I have stock everything and am just looking for a clean tank. Thanks in advance.
            Been there done that, bought a 1981 GS750/1100 E gas tank to replace that rediculous 2.8 gallon thing they call a gas tank on my GS850L(close enough to a 750 in that area to be the same bike).First you'd have to move the fwd mount (not insurmountable as there is the hole for that pin that would have to be put there)Forward mount is not the problem. The frame back bone and where the seat sits is shaped completely wrong to make this swap.But I was able to use that tank on a GS1000E with a leaky tank so all was not lost.

Comment

When saying the vertical or horizonal mounting holes, i assume you mean the ones at the back of the tank. If so mine has one that is mostly horizonal (sits at a slight angle) and has the 2 C shaped holds at the front. I'm not 100% sure on capacity but i will check tonight when i get home.
              You have a pic of your bike? You may actually have a 79 750. 80 was kind of a transition year it seems. Some badged 80 were the last of the 79 design, and some were the new 80 design with the TSCC motor in it. Is yours the 8valve or 16v model?

Comment

mine is the newer 80 design with the 16v TSCC badged motor. I had seen the different shape of the tank and it didn't seem like the seat would sit correctly with the E tank. I guess i'm still in the hunt for a '80 GS750L tank. I'll post in a few with my tank capacity.

Comment

OK, after careful measurement, i' have determined the capacity to be approximately 4-4.5 gallons. I give a range because i know i accidently spilled some while attempting to fill the old tank with a gallon pitcher.

Comment

after some searching i found that the part numbers from the 1980 GS1100L match the part numbers from the 1980 GS750L. Maybe I can find one a little easier now...

Comment

I've seen an 80 1100L tank Fleabay a few times. Nobody has snatched it yet. Maybe it will be listed again.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

mine is the newer 80 design with the 16v TSCC badged motor. I had seen the different shape of the tank and it didn't seem like the seat would sit correctly with the E tank. I guess i'm still in the hunt for a '80 GS750L tank. I'll post in a few with my tank capacity.
                        I have an 81 750L that I am looking to swap out with an E model.
                        As soon as I can locate one, mine will be up for grabs.

Comment

Splittie, im not positive, but i think there is more to it than just swapping them. I think the front mounts have to be moved, and the rear bolt wont match up. I could be wrong tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Splittie, im not positive, but i think there is more to it than just swapping them. I think the front mounts have to be moved, and the rear bolt wont match up. I could be wrong tho.

Relocating the mounts was exactly what I had in mind
                            Now if I can locate a pre '80 gs750 fuel tank.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              I agree. The 1980 GS750L stock tank holds 4.0 gallons of gasoline...which doesn't mean anything when you're talking about a swap...unless, of course, the tanks are also exactly the same shape.8-[
                              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                              X