1983 GS550ES Carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550ES Carb rebuild

Hey guys buddy who has been helping me with my 750 projects over the past two years has an issue with his carburators that I cannot seem to find any ismular situations discussed by folks on here..

Basically what happens is the bike will Idle and run fine however the carbs sometimes will drop fuel. I am suspecting the floats are getting stuck at random times. Though I am unsure how much of a carburator dismantlement would be necessary to change the float bowl orings which I think are likely the cause. Since I don't have a sync tool and funds are tight in regard to getting parts for his 550 I was hoping someone might even have a tutorial that applies to his two Carb twin barrel's I find plunty for my 750 CV's thanks to many enthusiests on her.e

heck if a local washington fellow see's this post and wants to volunteer to help with clean/sync I'm sure my buddy would be greatful. The bike is in such good shape just this guy crops up ever so often and well it seems to bother me more than my friend but with how good his bike looks this little quirk should be childsplay.

Anyone?[-o<

The twin barrel carbs on the four valve 550s are amazingly similar to the standard CV carbs from the tutorial, once you start taking them apart. They just have twice the number of some parts inside. If your friend has any mechanical aptitude at all, he can successfully dismantle, clean, and set float height on his carbs using the GS Resources carburetor tutorial.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

well he has the aptitude I would say...usually just need to give him a good nudge....cept with the issue of synchronizing them after the fact.. don't have a sync tool... I"m sure a bench sync will not be enough to tune it right after the fact though...all ones I see are like $180+

Someone know of a cheaper one...and if purchased will it work on pretty buch sync any type of carb?...if I ever get another bike I would certainly want the tool to work there too...

Comment

If you want to save some cash, you can balance those carbs with a simple clear hose and some water/ATF, since there are only two points to measure the vacuum. I did that with mine and it worked fine. Do a search for "BMW homemade balancer" and you should find an article that tells you how to build it. Just takes 20' of hose, a yard stick, and a couple adapters to screw into the carbs. Easy peasy.

Comment

that sounds interesting...if I understand the sync stuff correctly I screw said adapter into the air holes on the head and if I use the cheap tool I would just want the liquid to be equal inside the tube...is that correct?

How would we hold them in relation to get a good reading?

I did find the homemade one for $1.55 LOL .... where do you find the adapters that you would put on the hose?

...gosh I love this place... always good information if you know where to look thanks in advance =)

another nice document I ran past rather detailed

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...carburetors%3F
          Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2008, 05:25 AM.

Comment

depending on the size of the tubing you use you can just shove them in there... Or if you have a powered air pump they usually come with a cone attachment for floaties/air beds..

Comment

that is interesting indeed my friend and I will have ot look into trying that.. Carbtune for $120 .. = ( nice but if this will work for it I'm good to go on it

Comment

Yeah, like skreemer said, you could just shove the tube in the whole, or use one of those cone shaped adapters. I think I picked up a couple at a hardware store made of plastic. One end is threaded, which I glued into the clear tube, and the other is tapered which I shoved into the whole in the head. Just watched 'em to see if they melt.

And yes, you form a long 'u' shaped loop in the tube, and a balanced carb setup will have the fluid rising equal heights on each side of the loop. You use the yardstick to tape the hose to on each side, thus giving you the loop you need, and also something to hang it by (a hole in the top of the yardstick).

You're not going to be able to make it for $1.55 - you'll spend a good $10 on the hose alone (all these little trips to Lowe's sure do add up), but its still a usable alternative to buying a balancer, in the case of the twin carbed 550.

Comment

Lee,
                  I am sure you told me before, but what part of WA are you from? Anywhere near me?

Cory

Comment

I know of a cheaper one :-)

Someone know of a cheaper one...

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2727 $49.99 Thanks to Jeff at Z1 comes with a 5mm adaptor that fits hondas and suzuki's \\/

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
                      Lee,
                      I am sure you told me before, but what part of WA are you from? Anywhere near me?

Cory
                      I live in Rent-on myself... bought a condo out there ...oh you were asking Lee my bad...

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
                        Lee,

Cory
                        Sorry, not from warshington. Well, I guess technically I'm from there, in that I was born in Richland. But now I live in Keizer, Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                        X