1980 gs550 Grinding in 1st and 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs550 Grinding in 1st and 2nd

Hello, I got a question, My bike grinds everytime I put it in first and second gear. it always grinds going into first, and sometimes if im at a certain RPM it will not grind going tnto second, is this a clutch problem? or can it be adjusted? I have already tried adjusting it several times but it does not seem to work, thanks for the input

Clutch??

If you rev it up with the clutch in (and you're sitting in place) does it lurch forward at all? It sure sounds like your clutch isn't adjusted properly.
    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

You mean like hitting several gear teeth on the way in? You are talking about going into first when the bike is stopped or all the time? Are you slowly pressing the lever?
      Push it quicker, it should only bang into gear, not grind. It's a fairly loud bang sometimes.
      Your clutch could be not releasing completely even with both adjustments done correctly, warped steel plates, other things can cause this.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

grinding

Yes, I'm used to it lurching going into first gear, but going into second at high RPM is not easy to do at all, It usally ends up grinding going into second and usally just goes back into neutral, I got this bike off a young kid, perhaps trying to do wheelies could warp the steel plates?

Comment

Could be, so it's established now that the clutch is dragging?
          Easy enough to pop the side cover off and inspect the clutch.
          plates should be flat, minimum thickness on the fiber plates, put in new springs.
          Could be little grooves worn into the clutch housing by the movement of the plates, that can be filed out too.
          Pie.
          You do have the service manual for this bike?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X