Gasket Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket Template

Would anyone have a template for the generator cover gasket for an 82 GS1100 GL with the 8 valve engine? I have ordered a gasket, but it won't be here till next week sometime. All the other parts - AGM Battery, Stator, and AMSOIL Motorcycle oil - arrived this past week. I would like to put the bike together so I can ride it again, so I bought gasket material at Advanced Auto. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dirk

Can't you make one by tracing around the cover?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well just take the cover off and put a light coating of grease on the mating surface and press it down on the material.

you can then take a good sharp exacto knife and trace around the outside and then lift off the cover and the light coating of grease will show where to cut out the inside.

I ran into a similar problem with the clutch cover on a yamaha XT350 and just used yamabond (permatex ultra grey) and ened up not putting the gasket in when it arived. had it five years with just the yamabond and it never leaked.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Can't you make one by tracing around the cover?
        That would be a start, but there are several internal passages that I would prefer to have a template to get right.

Comment

OOO I forgot, don't do this on the dining room table!!!! wife will not be remotely happy.

I have a old food prep stainless table that is perfect for tracing.

Comment

i did exactly as focus frenzy did, but with oil. i would use grease next time. put a light coating all the way around on all the edges and press and hold it on the gasket material. when you take it off, there will be an outline on the metal edges and you just cut around it. i made one for my 850. be careful when using store bought gasket material though. has to be 1/32 inch thick, or else you'll mess with the stator clearances.

Comment

Gasket fabrication

Hi Mr. egent

Just for reference, there is a gasket making pictorial on my little BikeCliff website, thanks to Mr. Suzuki_Don.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X