Fuel Filter Causes Prob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Filter Causes Prob?

would/could an automotive inline filter cause a problem?? i have went thru all the steps to make my bike run richer-orings,seal air box etc.....still lean grabbing at straws. the mixture screws still have factory plugs over them.i wanted to get it back right,without uncovering the screws[last resort]. but im out of ideas..thanks in advance for your replies 1982 GS650G

Does it have a stock exhaust or an after-market? What fuel filter ?

Comment

Originally posted by JAS View Post
      would/could an automotive inline filter cause a problem?? i have went thru all the steps to make my bike run richer-orings,seal air box etc.....still lean grabbing at straws. the mixture screws still have factory plugs over them.i wanted to get it back right,without uncovering the screws[last resort]. but im out of ideas..thanks in advance for your replies 1982 GS650G
      The original screw position is not correct, it was as lean as it could be with a brand new engine and 1982 gasoline, you need to turn those screws out a little bit. Assuming a stock engine, pipe and intake the slides, and needle positions are probably rich enough, they only went super lean on the pilot jets, as the smog testing was only done at low power. Once it's running better try a bigger mainjet just to see, it will probably run a little better on top too. If you have time and inclination go through the entire jetting /plug chop routine, you may be surprised.
      The correct filter is not a problem, but automotive ones are. They are designed to have fuel pushed through them with a pump, which we don't have. Get one made for large motorcycle engines, for a 5/16 inch hose on both ends, the type with the gold colored porous stone inside.
      Last edited by tkent02; 03-15-2008, 09:02 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

stock exhaust,it had an inline filter when i got it,i had a small auto filter laying around,i when doing my carb work,i replaced it

Comment

An automotive type of filter will cause problems because it will not flow enough fuel in a gravity feed system. You need to use one designed for a gravity feed system. Even then, it seems the lines need to be routed carefully to ensure you have enough fall in the lines. Ask me how I know?
          Finally just cleaned the tank properly and got rid of the filter.

Comment

... the mixture screws still have factory plugs over them.i wanted to get it back right,without uncovering the screws[last resort].
            Actually, because they are so easy to get to and are most likely the problem, they should be your first resort. :shock:

As others have mentioned, use the proper filter if you feel you really must have a filter.
            If you can't find a motorcycle-specific filter, look in the lawn mower section. Most lawn mowers also have gravity-fed fuel systems.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are correct sir,they should have been my first resort.I just had my blinders on,got tunnel vision:-|,thanks for all the feed back.whats the BEST way to get the plugs out over the mixture screws??

Comment

"whats the BEST way to get the plugs out over the mixture screws"

Drill a small hole in cap and use a small screw to pull it out.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyterb View Post
                  "whats the BEST way to get the plugs out over the mixture screws"

Drill a small hole in cap and use a small screw to pull it out.
                  Don't drill too deep - only deep enough to go through the cap. You might want to wrap the drill bit with tape so only the first 3mm or so is exposed - that way you won't drill too deep.

Once you have a small hole in the center of the aluminum cap, screw in a sheet metal screw just enough to grab the cap - then using pliers on the screw, lever out the cap. Takes a little muscle but you will get it.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, automotive fuel filters are meant to be used with a fuel pump which creates pressure. They will not flow sufficiently (usually) by gravity feed as is on the GS. There is a fuel filter screen inside the gas tank and around the fuel pick up tubes on the petcock. No additional fuel filter is needed anyhow.

Earl

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      The original screw position is not correct, it was as lean as it could be with a brand new engine and 1982 gasoline, you need to turn those screws out a little bit.
                      Having bought a 1982 GS650G new and ridden it for 15 years, I assert that the factory adjustment on the screws is dead-nuts perfect. There is a strong chance that your carbs are full of resins that can only be removed by dipping in carburetor cleaner, and that cleaner will destroy an O-ring under the idle adjustment screw. That would be the reason to remove the screw.

As far as automotive fuel filters go, note that many cars get better than 30 mpg, which means that they use only about 50% more gas than many GSes, despite having engines several times larger and weighing 5 times as much. The pressurized fuel systems push gas through filters, while we only have a few inches of gasoline pulled by gravity. The stock petcock includes a filter. Why do you want another filter?
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                      X