No announcement yet.

idle mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would set them at .005". They do tighten over time and you won't have to mess with it for awhile.
    What is your stock pilot air jet size?
    I'm sure you took Ed wrong. He is always quick to help people with good solid advice. You need to lighten up.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
      Even if you're very familiar with motorcycles, these old GS motorcycles are pretty unique (as are many others). My neighbor has a 1980 CB750 and it's soooooo different from mine. I'd be lost if I tried working on it.
      That they are. Part of the reason i felt like a moron when i came here, and posibly part of the reason he's getting upset. While i had never dug REAL deep into a bike prior to my GS, i had adjusted valves before (KZ type, tappet adjuster, hondas) Every motor is a lil different, the philosophy is the same, and once you get past the design differences, it starts to make a lil more sense.

S'all good Sabre1971, Nessim is good ppl, and its common to take things the wrong way on the interweb when someone is simply making a statement. That whole "inflection" thing with the human voice. lol. There are quite enough knowlegeable ppl here to get you sorted. We'll help all we can, and if you have a question about something you've never encountered before, ask! The only dumb question is the one not asked ( but i swear to god if i hear one more question about oil preference....hehe Just kidding )

Once you get into these GSs they are pretty easy to understand, and for me, have become ALOT of fun, and ive really fallen in love with the design. Above all, dont get discouraged, these things are generally touted as being "bulletproof" for a reason, and for the most part, anything that is broken on them can be fixed with relative ease if you've any working knowlege of a motor, or a bike, or better yet, both, and you do, so all is well :P

Comment

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!!! I switched out the stock 45.0/180 US pilot jet combo and put in the 47.5/160 (Canadian stock set-up) 2 1/2 turns on the screw and it runs great. ran it w/o the choke after about 45-60 secs warm-up and she ran great with no sputtering and no adjusting the choke as I drove... F*&%ing beautiful\\/

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
          X