Clear Fuel Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear Fuel Line

Does anyone know where to get clear fuel line? My dealership only has black. Also, it appears to be size 1/4"? Is that right?

-Chuck

Chuckster,
    that's funny because my stealership only has clear and it makes me mad. You can get clear at stores like Lowe's or Home Depot as well.

Cory

Comment

Z1 Enterprises

I got 25" of Pro motion clear fuel like from them.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by KRISTI'SGS550 View Post
        Chuckster,
        that's funny because my stealership only has clear and it makes me mad. You can get clear at stores like Lowe's or Home Depot as well.

Cory
        Cory, just out of curiousity, why don't you want clear?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I got 25" of Pro motion clear fuel like from them.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Posplayr
          Thanks for the tip about Z1. I've bought from them before. Good place. :-D

Comment

Chuckster,
            the clear lines the dealership in town sells kinks really easily, it isn't as stiff as the black lines, also I just don't like the appearance. Don't get me wrong I do use it for other things and it does come in handy often.

Comment

Chuckster,
              the clear lines the dealership in town sells kinks really easily, it isn't as stiff as the black lines, also I just don't like the appearance. Don't get me wrong I do use it for other things and it does come in handy often.
              I did pick up some of the black which I may well use. Did you use a fuel filter on yours? I've heard some here say they don't like them, but I've put a lot of effort into cleaning and rebuilding my carbs and don't want to do it again real soon.

Comment

Chuckster,
                I use an inline fuel filter on my CB650, because it is a rust bucket inside the tank, but not on the GS, it was cleaned and lined professionally before I bought it, really nice. The filter inside the petcock catches everything it needs to catch, so far.

Cory

Comment

Just a word of warning. I used clear fuel line from Home Depot and within a year it has become fairly hard. I'm thinking of replacing it with black rubber fuel line if I can find the right size.

Comment

Not all tubing is compatable with fuel. That Home Depot stuff may be regular vinly or ?? and not appropriate. Get the proper stuff and be safe.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep!

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Not all tubing is compatable with fuel. That Home Depot stuff may be regular vinly or ?? and not appropriate. Get the proper stuff and be safe.
                      I think that's just right. I recall reading that in a technical article awhile back. I recently ordered 10 feet of polyurethane line from CRC. It's really hard to replace the fuel line when the carbs are on the bike so you want to make sure you're using something that will not deteriorate. 8-[(Using the right size is critical, too!)
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks guys! Is 1/4 inch (inside diameter) correct line size? :-D

Comment

Yep

1/4" should be right. The last time I rebuilt my carbs, I bought some 5/16" line because I saw some posts that made it sound like it was right. It seemed snug but within a couple of days, it leaked. I know some guys use 5/16" but I think 1/4" is correct for most applications.
                          Last edited by chuckycheese; 03-16-2008, 12:45 PM.
                          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                            1/4" should be right. The last time I rebuilt my carbs, I bought some 5/16" line because I saw some posts that made it sound like it was right. It seemed snug but within a couple of days, it leaked. I know some guys use 5/16" but I think 1/4" is correct for most applications.
                            Thank you sir! :-D

Comment

Chuckster,
                              Echoing the earlier comment, be certain that it is fuel line. It will definitely be labelled as such, and it costs a lot more than either vinyl tubing, or the black rubber line. I like clear fuel line because it is easy to be sure that gas is getting to the carbs.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                              X