Progressive suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive suspension

I decided it was time to do something with the shocks. Maybe out of boredom, I very quickly ordered some series 12 rear shocks/springs and new fork springs. My friend with the 1000# lift will help me install it all - never done it before, but I assume it ain't that hard. Anybody that's done that change (especially from 21 year old stock equipment) - tell me how huge a difference I'll notice, so I don't mind spending the money (actually, it wasn't much).

I've got a Telefix fork brace, which improved things quite a bit, so now this may just do it.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Re: Progressive suspension

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
    I decided it was time to do something with the shocks. Maybe out of boredom, I very quickly ordered some series 12 rear shocks/springs and new fork springs. My friend with the 1000# lift will help me install it all - never done it before, but I assume it ain't that hard. Anybody that's done that change (especially from 21 year old stock equipment) - tell me how huge a difference I'll notice, so I don't mind spending the money (actually, it wasn't much).

I've got a Telefix fork brace, which improved things quite a bit, so now this may just do it.
    Do you recall what model # Telefix fork brace you got (I assume it's on the 1100E)?
    I always firgured they were overkill as the bike comes with a brace under the fender, but you saw a noticable difference in handling?

Comment

Re: Progressive suspension

Originally posted by pjackson
      Do you recall what model # Telefix fork brace you got (I assume it's on the 1100E)?
      I always firgured they were overkill as the bike comes with a brace under the fender, but you saw a noticable difference in handling?
      I don't know the model # off-hand - fit perfect though. Yeah, it's on my 1100E. Actually, they've always been pretty decent handling bikes for the age - much better than the Kwaks - but the brace seems to make low speed turning a little lighter, high-speed sweepers seem a little more stable. I also used to get a little shimmy on decelerating if I let go of the bars - now it's just steady. I know I shouldn't be riding around with no hands, but it happens occasionally.
      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

If you don't know when the last time the fork seals were done you should change them. How much did the fork springs cost compared to the rear shocks? The progressive rears for my bike were something silly like 400$CDN a pair (aftermarker are 100). After seeing that I didn't check to see how much the fronts would be.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
          If you don't know when the last time the fork seals were done you should change them. How much did the fork springs cost compared to the rear shocks? The progressive rears for my bike were something silly like 400$CDN a pair (aftermarker are 100). After seeing that I didn't check to see how much the fronts would be.

Thanks, Steve
          Total cost was $268 for rears + springs and fork springs. I think the fork springs were $58 a pair. We'll do the seals too - my friend Tom doesn't ever do half the job - unlike me. We're putting seals in the Yamaha this weekend and another guys Voyager - Tom was doing his Guzzi LeMans when I was there Sunday. I let him practice on all the others before he gets to the GS.

Comment

Bert,
            You may want to consider rep;acing the teflon coated bushings if you are going to do seals. There is a set on the bottom of the upper tubes and a set on the top of the lower tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Bert,
              You may want to consider rep;acing the teflon coated bushings if you are going to do seals. There is a set on the bottom of the upper tubes and a set on the top of the lower tubes.
              Thanks, man. I'll call Bill and make sure he has them in stock. I used to do some work on bikes when I had British stuff, because all I really needed was a Wentworth hammer and a spool of wire. Once it got more complicated than that, I gave up.

My friend is willing to help on this though. You should see his garage - 3 cars wide, two and a half cars deep with a 13 foot ceiling. In the back, he has a seperate room with big hinged patio doors. Workbenches and metal tool cabinets on two walls, his thirty year collection of motorcycle magazines on high shelves. A compressor and.........a 1000# lift that rolls from one side of the room to the other on a big steel girder. His wife thinks it's all silly, but it is pure beauty. Folding lawn chairs hang on one wall. Refrigerator too.

Comment

Steve,

I installed progressive 14 series on my 81 750LX and they were $120 for the shocks and $65 US for the springs.

Comment

I did the rears last year. Forget the model #, but had to special order the springs. I got the 170/210 lb springs.
                  I like them alot. I bought Progressive's also.
                  My friends runs a parts store so I got a good deal.
                  This year is the front end, yes I'll do the seals.

I did have to remove the rear brake pedal to get the swingarm to drop.
                  I have an aftermarket box steel swingarm. The arm was resting against the pedal enough so I needed about 1/4 inch more to slide the shock on.
                  This was due to the arm dropping when I removed the left shock. I tried the right side first, burt with it up on the center stand it was just touching the swingarm. Hopefully you won't have this problem.
                  Be areful with the threading on the top mount. Use the plastic spacers.
                  Put them into the shock eye then slide it on. Be careful not to over tourque the bolts. I know you're not a rookie.......but I've learned from others and my mistakes.

I have a fork brace and steering damper installed. I can adjust the damper, but it still turns like a Peterbilt in parking lot manuevers.
                  The S model doesn't have alot of steering lock to begin with.

Keith
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
                    Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    Bert,
                    Thanks, man. I'll call Bill and make sure he has them in stock. I used to do some work on bikes when I had British stuff, because all I really needed was a Wentworth hammer and a spool of wire. Once it got more complicated than that, I gave up.

My friend is willing to help on this though. You should see his garage - 3 cars wide, two and a half cars deep with a 13 foot ceiling. In the back, he has a seperate room with big hinged patio doors. Workbenches and metal tool cabinets on two walls, his thirty year collection of motorcycle magazines on high shelves. A compressor and.........a 1000# lift that rolls from one side of the room to the other on a big steel girder. His wife thinks it's all silly, but it is pure beauty. Folding lawn chairs hang on one wall. Refrigerator too.
                    Untill you said refridgerator I was thinking "thats not the perfect garage" But I stand corrected

Comment

Working...
                    X