Blinker - not blinking!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinker - not blinking!!

I have a '81 GS1000. It is my first bike and I just bought it last Fall. The head gasket went soon after. I was very lucky to have my path cross Mr. spchips here, who not only helped me with bebuilding my engine, but let me help him, so I could help keep costs down and more importantly, learn more about my bike! (Here are the pics http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ine%20Rebuild/ )

Now to my question. The person I bought it from said that he had been having trouble with the left turn signal. I believe he said he replaced the relay. He then thought the problem might be in the switch. When he monkey'd with that, it came apart. He ordered a replacement, but it was the wrong one. I took over. When we rebuilt the engine, I took off the old one and sent it back to Sky Used Parts. They sent me back the right one. However, the problem still exists. Both the front and back lights come on, but when I turn the left turn signal on, the rear light stays solid and the front one turns off! Help!!

when something funky like starts to happen. always check the grounds.

Comment

More info please

Hi Mr. Jamis07,

Are you asking about the stock wiring? Did you or the PO install a "running light" upgrade on your GS? Are these LED turn signals we're talking about?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Could be silly but a loose bulb / dirt socket can reek havoc on this. My ssignals got bumped a few times and I had this happen. also do make sure your turn signal relay things are clean... a dirty connection is never good.

Let us know what you find Good luck.

Comment

I concur w/ what's been said so far.

It may be a grounding issue. You want to make sure everything inside the windjammer fairing is wired right. Chances are, the wiring is buggered up around the turn signal/running lights (standard on a windjammer).

Once all bulbs are known good on that side, and come on solid when the switch is thrown, then it's probably the relay if they don't blink.

One more thing... Since your bike is stored outside, it's possible there's water in the turn signal relay if it's not oriented to be self draining, causing the wire not to heat up, and therfore not to blink, and eventually to fail due to rust. If it's relatively new, you should be able to turn it upside down and clear the water out.

This should be somewhere around the battery box, on the front of it. it should have only 2 wires sticking out of it.
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I don't think it's from storing it outside, only because the person who owned it before me had the issue and he garaged it. I will investigate some of the other things you suggested. Right now, when the electricals are on, the front and back come on as they should, but when I turn the switch to signal left, the back one gets brighter, but doen't blink and the front goes out all together. I did double check to make sure the plug into the fairing was in the right way and things like that, but I will dig a little deeper. I'll keep you posted!

To answer your question BassCliff, it is the stock equiptment. No upgrades. Great bike though. spchips can attest to that.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to address one of the responses to my question.

Comment

:shock:This sounds exactly like what my buddy and I ran into when we were wiring up my LED turn signal project this weekend *yes I put in a electronic flasher* :-D...I am willing to bet that you have your signal wires in your headlight bucket mismatched...we saw funny things from instruments flashing left front left signal flashing and rear right flashing together...left one would come on dimly at one point...talk about sending mixed signals.....anyway it was really funny had to be there... Check your wiring via your manual diagram and trace them out to ensure you have them hooked up correctly. I'm willing to bet if you check those and verify them you will find the solution to your problem.

When doing this it helps to hook them up one at a time as you test, that way you don't miss a thing.

The flashing problem before this project did occur when the bike got stuck in the rain, or just at random times.. relay came unclipped and got wet / shaken...caused my signals to flash very slow...so they would look stuck. Check that it is secured connections facing down just to be sure... but I still side with your wiring being flipped.

Good luck
              Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X