Removing Old Gasket During Valve Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Old Gasket During Valve Check

After you pull the cylinder head cover off in order to check your valves, how do you remove the old cover gasket without getting pieces down in the motor? Seems like you would have to be very careful doing this. Any tricks I should know about? :-D

Real Gaskets recommended

Hi Mr. Chuckster,

I've replaced my breather cover gasket and valve cover gasket with parts from Real Gaskets. They're reusable silicon gaskets that last for years. But in the past I've sprayed the old material in WD40, let it soak in, and very carefully used razor blades or similar to remove the stuck gasket residue. Many here have had good luck with Permatex Gasket Remover and other such products. Good luck and happy wrenching. :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sometimes a person gets lucky and the gasket comes off with the cover. Mine did this winter when I took it off. The cylinder head was clean, just had to scrape the old gasket off the cover. I have had it stick to the head before, and that makes it more difficult. Just takes some time and elbow grease, and try to keep the pieces out of the engine. A good gasket scraper, or stiff putty knife that has been sharpened works pretty good.

Greg

Comment

Shop vac

A wonderful, understanding wife with her hand on a 'shop vac' will keep stuff out of the engine...\\/
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
          A wonderful, understanding wife with her hand on a 'shop vac' will keep stuff out of the engine...\\/
          Wow, I'm seriously impressed. She does this?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I spent a LOT of time scraping the gasket off my 850; thing was absolutely petrified (hard as a rock). Tried the permatex gasket spray but while it helped, it also ate the paint off anything it touched. No amount of care could completely keep chunks out of the engine so in the end I took paper towel and soaked all the oil out of the cam wells and then picked pieces of gasket off the valve buckets and cams using q-tips and the ilk. Huge pain. Replaced the gasket with a Real Gasket - worth the money in my opinion.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Mr. Chuckster,

But in the past I've sprayed the old material in WD40, let it soak in, and very carefully used razor blades or similar to remove the stuck gasket residue.
              BassCliff
              Hopefully, mine will be that easy. Thanks for the tip on the WD40.

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
              Sometimes a person gets lucky and the gasket comes off with the cover.
              Greg
              That's what I'm hoping for!

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              That would be nice and I'm sure my wife would. May actually try that if it doesn't stick to the cover.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I spent a LOT of time scraping the gasket off my 850; thing was absolutely petrified (hard as a rock). Tried the permatex gasket spray but while it helped, it also ate the paint off anything it touched. No amount of care could completely keep chunks out of the engine so in the end I took paper towel and soaked all the oil out of the cam wells and then picked pieces of gasket off the valve buckets and cams using q-tips and the ilk. Huge pain. Replaced the gasket with a Real Gasket - worth the money in my opinion.
              This is what I'm scared of right here! :shock:

Comment

hey chuck,

i JUST spent the last 2 days doing this on mine. my advice is the same as the others, except to add pull up a seat and get comfortable. i sprait the "aircraft stripper" on q-tips and painstakingly painted it on the worst bits, several rounds of that and tedious, careful, detail oriented scraping with a razor blade and my surface is "fairly" clean. i got a real gasket, so this shouldnt have to happen EVER AGAIN.

greg
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Lucky!

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Wow, I'm seriously impressed. She does this?
                  She's surprisingly nice; and I'm surprisingly lucky!!:-D
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

From memory I stuff shop rag pieces down into the buckets etc before I started & then carefully pulled them out & any bits of gasket with them at the end....

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mine was medium petrified - some of it came out in chunks other parts stuck.

I soaked mine with PB Blaster (available and AutoZone and probably other places), and that helped, but careful use of a razor (sometimes clamped in a vice grips) was what got it done for me. If you try this, proceed with caution - you can gouge that soft aluminum real easy.

I think the best tool would be a plastic disposable putty knife that's been sharpened with some 120 or 220 grit sandpaper on the bench.

Meanwhile, I'll add my endorsement for Real gaskets. If you hate this job, do it well, then buy a Real gasket. It'll be the last time you have to scrape. At least for valve adjustments.

Comment

While I'm on this subject, is it okay to clean the valve cover with parts cleaner while I have it off? Or should I use something milder? Is it okay to rinse the whole thing even with the breather cover still on it? :-D

Comment

Working...
                        X