Carb Icing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Icing up?

Today I went out for a test ride after doing a bunch of work to my bike. It was only about 34 degrees out and 65% humidity. I rode about 3 miles at speeds around 45mph, then got onto the freeway and pushed it up to 70 for a couple of miles to the next exit. When I got off and turned around and started down the ramp the bike was stumbling and did not have much power, but then after 20 seconds took off. I am hoping it was just some carb ice. Has anyone had carbs ice up before? I have had carbs ice up on some old vehichles and equipment before, and it seemed like that was happening today. I will have to see if it happens again when it is warmer outside.

Greg

It does sound like the carbs could have been icing up.
    I have had it happen heaps on old cars.
    Dont think I have ever had it happen on a bike though.
    Cheers

Comment

i would have to say

what i was riding in the snow about -3 plus windchill.. 160 kmph.distance almost 140 km. i had chill blanes on my fingers. but no ice on the carbs.. none of my bikes have ever had this problem..
      personally i just cant see it happening.. i would look else where.. for the problem...

Comment

Very common in piston engine airplanes, air cooled Volkswagens do it, could happen to a bike under the perfect circumstances. 65% and somewhat above freezing is just about perfect conditions. Airbox or pods?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
          what i was riding in the snow about -3 plus windchill.. 160 kmph.distance almost 140 km. i had chill blanes on my fingers. but no ice on the carbs.. none of my bikes have ever had this problem..
          personally i just cant see it happening.. i would look else where.. for the problem...

just so you know, windchill doesnt affect inanimate objects.

Comment

is it an?

no youre right it doesnt but my bloody fingers .. cold wheeeww.. took days for the skin to get back to norm.
            it was more for the old to state how cold it was..

but on the other hand if its running does it not breath. does it not become alive.. and there for not inamnimate.... .. just a bit of fun...

really i cant belive that the carbs iced up..
            planes yes,older cars , again yes,even boats. and diesils . but bikes past 1970 no naww. i need proof .. piccys.?

Comment

Also, a low windchill would indicate a DRY day (RH), where a WET day would be needed for carb ice-up.

Just splitting hairs at this point - sorry
              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I am definitely not a mechanic but could you have had some moisture in your gas tank?

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by slowride View Post
                  I am definitely not a mechanic but could you have had some moisture in your gas tank?

Ed
                  Why would moisture in the tank have acted like carburetor ice?

Comment

Just my tuppence worth but ive never had a carb icing problem on any suzuki over the last 28 years riding in all weather conditions unlike some of the kawasaki's ive owned

i think that it would take a hell of a lot of water in the fuel to produce the symptoms of carb icing if it could give those symptoms at all :?

Comment

Carb Icing?

I think I had it happen once many years ago on my GS1100G. 50 or so miles in a steady rain at about 35 deg. F at a steady speed. When I released the throttle, it stuck pretty much at the steady speed setting. It's been a while since that happened, but if I remember right, I shut it down, then in a minute or so I restarted it and everything was fine. Since the conditions were right for it and that was the only time it ever happened and I rarely ride in those conditions, I attributed it to carb icing. With no other explanation and considering how quickly the problem disappeared, I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Airbox or pods?
                        Airbox.

I doubt I had water in the gas, unless I pumped in from the gas station last fall when I winterized the bike. I always fill the tank to reduce any condensation in the tank over winter.

As far as carburator icing, the ice comes from the moisture in the air freezing inside the venturie. The air temp inside the carb drops as it goes through the venturie. It was about 34 degrees when I rode last night, about the coldest I have ridden in, and the humidity was about 65%. I used to have a Fiat many years ago, and the carb would ice up on it, till I figured out how to get some heat to it. I also used to drive an old dump truck that had the same problem in the winter. Let it idle for 30 seconds, and it would get enough heat to melt the ice. Don't know for sure, but last night the 750 behaved like that. I will know for sure next time I ride in warmer weather.

Greg

Comment

Sounds like carb ice to me.

Comment

Sounds like lets hope for a warmer day to retest?! My GS850G was acting pretty doggy on the sea foamed fuel (from last fall) yesterday too. Cleared up some after 10 miles riding, but still wasn't quite right. Rode maybe 70 miles. Topped off w/ 2.2 gallons (cruddy mileage). Performance improved measurably. I'm attributing the sluggishness and poor fuel mileage to stale fuel. I had wondered about icing too, but symptoms improved after refueling. Hard to say though since during the refueling the carbs would have warmed up from the engine. Still was good to get out wasn't it? Spring is a long time coming.

Comment

Working...
                            X