Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000-524461 - what is it?

hi ya all!

could a good person look up their service manual and tell me what gs1000 model comes with the above frame number (if any at all), please :-D ?

i got interested in a bike that's up for sale, but i'm a bit confused at what year / model it actually is...

TIA

ps. sorry no picture available
    Last edited by psyguy; 03-17-2008, 01:48 AM.
    GS850GT

I have a chart that shows frame numbers:
    GS1000-50001 to be GS1000E/H 1978
    GS1000-520477 to be GS1000E 1979
    GS1000-528747 to be GS1000E 1980

Yours being GS1000-524461 then seems to possibly be a 1979 GS1000E.
    I cannot vouch for this as there is not much other detail available.

Comment

thanks, this is most helpful

now, the bike has dual slotted front discs as well as the rectangular front master cylinder
      rear disc is slotted as well
      wheels are alu (not spokes)

HOWEVER, it's got vm carbs

the above things originally dont go together, do they?!
      and especially not in '79

or?
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
        I have a chart that shows frame numbers:
        GS1000-50001 to be GS1000E/H 1978
        GS1000-520477 to be GS1000E 1979
        GS1000-528747 to be GS1000E 1980

Yours being GS1000-524461 then seems to possibly be a 1979 GS1000E.
        I cannot vouch for this as there is not much other detail available.
        the chart you have, does it say anything about specific numbers being used for specific markets (like usa/uk/eu, etc?)
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          hi ya all!

could a good person look up their service manual and tell me what gs1000 model comes with the above frame number (if any at all), please :-D ?

i got interested in a bike that's up for sale, but i'm a bit confused at what year / model it actually is...

TIA

ps. sorry no picture available

My GS1100 frame and engine numbers (NZ) seem to be at odds with the listed frame and engine numbers I found for GS1100's.

As mine was an 85 (nowhere else seems to have them that late) they were prolly made from the bits and pieces left over when the market dried up.

So I'm no help at all. Sorry

Comment

Hi,
            I have a copy of an owners manual for a GS1000/GS1000E that was printed in 1979 which refers to the GS1000 having single disk and the E having twin disks at the front. It also gives wider tyres for the E. It also mentions that a cast wheel was used on the E and spoked on the GS1000. The square master cylinder reservoir used on the 1980 models were for twin disks and had a larger (5/8") diameter bore. Maybe the round master cylinder reservoir was only on single front disks, most single disk used a 1/2" bore. ( hopefully someone can varify this)

Edit: Added link to manual: http://www.mediafire.com/?yz0wvhmt43f
            Added link to frame list: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...zyc12s&thumb=4

If you could get your hands on a PDF copy of the Owners Manual for the GS1000G 1980 I will greatly appreciate as it seems to be unobtainable.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2008, 04:28 AM. Reason: Added link

Comment

If you could get your hands on a PDF copy of the Owners Manual for the GS1000G 1980 I will greatly appreciate as it seems to be unobtainable.
              yea, i've seen your post on this, i'm sorry i can't be of help
              why do you need it?
              GS850GT

Comment

Here some more detail on the GS1000E. Apparently they had pneumatic shocks on the back different to the other models. Have a look here: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/index.html

I have the workshop manual, but want to get the bike complete with toolkit and a copy of the original Owners Manual. Just a quirk of mine as I am getting it back to original as far as possible. I also noticed some interesting points in the older (non shaft) manual, that helps understanding the workshop manual better.

Comment

on auction at ebay now

Hi,

Comment

Colin thanks but that is the Service manual. I am looking for the Owners Manual that comes with the bike. I know... no biker wants to be seen reading an owners manual... so that is tossed out immediately!!!

Comment

Colin thanks but that is the Service manual. I am looking for the Owners Manual that comes with the bike. I know... no biker wants to be seen reading an owners manual... so that is tossed out immediately!!!
                      Sounds like someone has swapped later brake components, 79 had solid discs and round reservoirs.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Sounds like someone has swapped later brake components, 79 had solid discs and round reservoirs.
                        yea, that's my conclusion too

but as there were so many little differences for different markets... you never know...
                        except for the vm carbs this would be one "straight" 1980 E model (oh, and except for the frame number which seems to be '79) :?
                        GS850GT

Comment

It seems to be a 1979 E with wire wheels, later discs and master cylinder.
                          The E should have a 17" rear wheel, the wire wheel are 18".
                          Does it have chrome airbox sides (behind the carbs)?
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            It seems to be a 1979 E with wire wheels, later discs and master cylinder.
                            The E should have a 17" rear wheel, the wire wheel are 18".
                            Does it have chrome airbox sides (behind the carbs)?
                            i think E never had wire wheels - it had alu, that's one of the differences to the "non E" model, no?
                            (other differences being rear shocks and dual front discs (firstly as solid discs and then drilled in '80 )

it's 17 at the back (alu)
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                              hi ya all!

Was it the rough diamond (with $3.5K reserve) that was passed over on Trademe? I still haven't heard from my mate's boss (shrugs).

As a matter of interest when on Z1 looking for gaskets and jets, I saw they listed models and frames. These were the closest;

GS1000SN 1979
                              Frame: GS1000E-521285 ~
                              Engine: GS1000-121074 ~
                              GS1000ST 1980
                              Frame: GS1000-528511 ~
                              Engine: GS1000-145969 ~
                              GS1000ET 1980
                              Frame: GS1000-528511 ~
                              Engine: GS1000-145969 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X