Turns Over But Won't Start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns Over But Won't Start.

Please help me. If anyone can, I know some of you can. I last rode my bike in late October and at one point it wasn't running as good as I thought it should and someone told me to adjust the throttle stop screw. I did play with it a little and it ran alright but then winter came, I put the bike away, and in December, I joined this group.

Over the winter, I replaced the o-rings on the air intake boots from the carbs to the engine, cleaned and resealed the airbox, replaced the old plugs with new ones (identical NGK's), charged the battery through the winter, and thought I would be able to take it for a ride today since I was off from work and it was 46 degrees (I'm a whimp and I don't ride if it's too cold).

I put the tank back on today, put the battery in, turned the key, and it won't start. I put the petcock on prime, I pulled the choke out, it turns over great, but it won't start. I also went through my manual and did all the trouble shooting things it recommended, checked for crimped hoses, checked for fuel in the tank (I only put in about a gallon of fresh fuel) and it still won't start.

I'm certain I screwed up things with the throttle stop screw. When turning it I didn't pay attention to where it was when I moved it (dummy me). Any ideas out there? Thanks.

Ed

A couple of things i'd check :-D

#1 you say the battery was charged over the winter ! it might be worth putting a multimeter across it as it may show a good 12 volts but still not have the cranking amps, ive fallen foul of this one myself

#2 when you replaced the plugs did you set the gap & have you checked that they are actually sparking ?

#3 if you wound in the throttle stop you may find cold starting more difficult as some bikes wont accept throttle & choke together from cold & that is effectively what you may have done by winding in the stop screw, i'd check the other things above then wind the screw back out till lightly seated & try again both with a small amount of throttle & just on choke

#4 did you drain the carbs for the winter lay up ? fuel may have "varnished" in the carbs & may be blocking the jets etc

hope it helps tone

Comment

Tone, Thanks. I did gap the plugs. I can't find my meter but the battery is cranking strong. I turned the screw out a couple turns (while I was waiting for a reply) and I am able to start it now but it runs only for a little bit then dies. Yes, I did drain the carbs for the winter. I also put some Sea Foam in my gas about ten minutes ago. I'm going back out now and turn the screw back out further and see what happens. I'm anxious to go for a ride (more than I want green beer).

Ed

Comment

If you only put in a gallon of gas, make sure the petcock is set to PRI or RES.
        If you set it to PRI, make sure you move it to RES after the bike starts.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by slowride View Post
          ...I am able to start it now but it runs only for a little bit then dies

That sounds like part of my fuel flow problem days. Basically, there was enough fuel in the bowls to start, but not enough to run. I sat on the side of the road and killed the battery doing that. Maybe yours hasn't had enough prime yet, or the prime circuit in your petcock isn't right. You might try draining one of the bowls to see how much is in there. I ended up sucking on the vacuum line for about a minute (instead of using the prime setting), then it started and ran as if nothing bad had ever happened.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I just added another three gallons of gas. I was able to get it running for a couple minutes with the throttle stop screw almost all the way out but as soon as I turned the throttle (hand grip) it died. Once I get it running, how far back in should I turn the throttle stop screw?

Oh, my start button broke off. I'm not Irish so there is no luck there.

Ed

Comment

You need to run it till its at normal (warm) temp then set the idle to around 900 rpm :-D

Comment

First check that all four of your float bowls are filling properly after being empty for a while. The needle may be sticking in closed. Loosen the drain screws and see if you can get enough out of them. When on prime the fuel should not stop running. If any problem try tapping the float bowls, otherwise you may have to take them off.

If the above is OK you may have to try starting as per the owners manual:
                Put petcock on Prime
                Pull choke out fully
                Keep throttle closed completely
                Ignition On, Kill switch on, push starter button
                Do not open throttle when bike starts on choke (it will cut out)
                Adjust choke to keep idle at 2000rpm for about 60 seconds
                Now push in choke and use throttle
                Put petcock to On.

If that still does not get the motor running properly, then you may have to give your carbs a closer look.

Comment

Thanks. That makes sense. I'm going back outside to try again.

Ed

Comment

Thanks Matchless. I'll check that out.

Ed

Comment

Here's what I did. I checked each bowl by beginning to loosen the screw at the bottom, but I never got very far (on each one) because gas started to flow out. Was that a correct assumption that if gas was flowing out before I got the screw out, they were filled enough? I went through your check list Matchless and I think my mistake (prior to that) was I tried to throttle it while the choke was out.

Anyway, I got it started and decided to take it for a ride (if my luck would hold out). I ended up going about ten miles because at 40 degrees, I was starting to feel the wind chill on my hands. It ran well but the idle was high (I didn't adjust the throttle stop screw until I arrived back home).

Thanks GSers. I think it was a success. I'll wait to see how well things worked the next time to take it for a ride. Now to look for a new start button.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X