Ballast Resistor Mounting GS750 1977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast Resistor Mounting GS750 1977

So I've been working on a '78 GS750 for over a year now with some pretty good success thanks to this forum. It's running pretty good and mechanically I'm about 80% done with it (although that wet spot in the photo is gas! new problem since my carb rebuild. think its float related.). Now I am going to start on some cosmetics. I know how you all like pictures, so here is the '78.

About 6 months ago I came across a '77 GS750 for $300 on craigslist locally, and figured why not have a parts bike. Well, turns out that the thing runs so I figured I had to get it restored too.
    My question: I've got a set of green 3 ohm dyna coils for the 77 but plan on sticking with the points to keep the project cheap. I stopped by a Napa to get some ballast resistors and confusion ensued. There were quite a few to choose from and none were 2 ohms. A 1.8 was as close as I found. Should I go over or under if I can't hit 5 ohms? Also, where and how are people mounting these resistors? They looked a lot bulkier than I expected. And do I need one or two of these resistors?
    And here is the '77.

Thanks,
    -d

Originally posted by Livingston View Post
    My question: I've got a set of green 3 ohm dyna coils for the 77 but plan on sticking with the points to keep the project cheap. I stopped by a Napa to get some ballast resistors and confusion ensued. There were quite a few to choose from and none were 2 ohms. A 1.8 was as close as I found. Should I go over or under if I can't hit 5 ohms? Also, where and how are people mounting these resistors? They looked a lot bulkier than I expected. And do I need one or two of these resistors?
    And here is the '77.

Thanks,
    -d
    They should be fine without a ballast. Your points just won't last as long.

Comment

Livingston would you mind doing a couple of us fellow 77 owners a huge favor and taking a pic of your wiring system in and around your batt box? Dardoonk and I are hooking up a "Duaneage" rec/reg set up and have a couple extra wires that we cant remember where they go, and the 77s have a lil difference in set up from everything later. I would appreciate it if you could, and if not, no biggie.

I might add also, those are BOTH beautiful beautiful bikes! I am a sucker for spokes, and those things are sexy I have a 77 750B cafe im working on currently, but durring that time, have gathered enough parts to build a 77 restore, im just looking for a good frame and a seat. lol

Comment

How often?

CafeKid, I'll try to get a few pictures tonight of the 77. I also just got two R/R's from Duaneage; good thing I didn't have time to start cutting into the wiring yet as I might have ended up in the same predicament.

As for "they won't last as long", how long would do you think they would last with and without? Hours, days, weeks, months? Anyone out ther actually run this configuration? I'd really prefer not to have to get in and clean the points all the time if it can be avoided.

-d

Comment

Originally posted by Livingston View Post
          CafeKid, I'll try to get a few pictures tonight of the 77. I also just got two R/R's from Duaneage; good thing I didn't have time to start cutting into the wiring yet as I might have ended up in the same predicament.

As for "they won't last as long", how long would do you think they would last with and without? Hours, days, weeks, months? Anyone out ther actually run this configuration? I'd really prefer not to have to get in and clean the points all the time if it can be avoided.

-d
          Seeing as how my stock points (w/stock coils) are barely worn after 12,000 miles I'd not worry too much about it. The other GS1000 I had had almost double the miles and the points were only slightly more pitted. Even if you only get 10,000 miles that's a year's riding or more for most of us.

Also, if you look at the FSM for the GS1000 the specs for the stock coils are "2.5 to 5 ohms" of primary resistance.

Comment

I used a balast res on my 79GS850 Used one from a mid/late 70's Mopar ign Only need one. One side of it is 1.8-2 ohms, Wire The 12V battery supply to the balast -- to the coils. Mounted it to one of the cam cover breather bolts. . Stack a few washers & a longer bolt to raise it off the cover Over two years - No problems

Comment

Thanks Lynn. CK, check your private messages.

-d

Comment

Working...
              X