Coil testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil testing

Just talked to George Lesho, from wiredgeorge carbs, about my problems. I just found 2 of my cylinders arent firing consistantly and he told me I might have bad or weak coils on my 82' 1000 kat.

Does anyone here know how to test the coils? I checked the stator papers and it was just about the charging system. Thanks, E

If the two cylinders that are not firing are an ignition pair, i.e. 1,4 or 2,3 , then it is likely to be a coil problem. If 1,2 or 1,3 or 2,4 or 3,4 is the non firing pair, then it is not a coil problem.

Check resistance across the terminals on the coil with a multimeter. It should read 3 ohms for an electronic ignition or 5 ohms if you have a points type ignition system. Resistance through the spark plug caps should be 20,000 to 50,000 ohms. The resistor screw on plastic boots when removed from the spark plug wire ends should show 5000 ohms through each cap.

Earl

Originally posted by Escobarclan View Post
    Just talked to George Lesho, from wiredgeorge carbs, about my problems. I just found 2 of my cylinders arent firing consistantly and he told me I might have bad or weak coils on my 82' 1000 kat.

Does anyone here know how to test the coils? I checked the stator papers and it was just about the charging system. Thanks, E
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl, it may very well be the problem. If it is I dread the cost of a coil. I'm really considering getting my carbs sent in to get totally rebuilt, can you suggest anyone?

Comment

YOu can usually pick up coils pretty cheap on ebay. There are probably quite a few members with coils just gathering dust just because they bought Dyna's too.

As for getting the carbs done, I've done my share of carb racks. :-)
        If you decide you need them done, if you will order the "O" ring kit from Robert Barr for your carbs, I'll be happy to clean em up, dip them, install new "O" rings and bench "synch" them. All you will have to do is box up your carbs with Robert's "O" ring kit and send them to me. It will cost you shipping both ways plus whatever a gallon of carb dip costs. Counting shipping, dipping etc, it will probably take about a week assuming no needles are broken off, or anything is broken in the carbs.

Earl

Originally posted by Escobarclan View Post
        Thanks Earl, it may very well be the problem. If it is I dread the cost of a coil. I'm really considering getting my carbs sent in to get totally rebuilt, can you suggest anyone?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you for the offer Earl, I'm fairly new to bikes and I just can't diagnose what's wrong with mine. I'm getting more and more certain that it's the carbs. I'll take you up on your offer if you're still up to it.

By the way, the coils' resistance was about 5.2 on each coil, is that good?

I'm not sure where Richard Barr's store is if you can point me in the right direction.

Also, does the carb rebuild kit come with new float needles and o-rings? What about the jet needle, needle jet, pilot jet and diaphram?
          Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 12:37 AM.

Comment

DON"T waste your money on carb kits. Get the O rings I think it is
            EDIT

www.cycleorings.com It is listed under the links page
            Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

why not the carb kits?

Comment

Working...
              X