New stator where to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New stator where to buy

Does anyone have a website they order their stators from? or a specific one they would recommend? 1980 gs550L

Aftermarket Motorsport Electrics parts for motorcycles, dirtbikes, atvs, motosport vehicles manufactured and distributed by Rick's Motorsport Electrics

I bought from them. Good price and fast.

Comment

Also had a question about my old stator, when I removed this thing 20 mins ago, it was covered in oil. is this normal?

Comment

You've already got the info

Mr. Weston666,

Yes, there's a little oil in the stator cover. It's normal. Check my little BikeCliff website for my stator replacement experience, with pictures and everything. Vendor information was included in my mega-welcome post. You can check the online welcome page for the list of vendors. There's even a guy on ebay who rewinds old stators and sells them for about $80. I got a new unit from RMStator for $101 total, including shipping. Then there's Rick's and Electrosport (Electrex) for around $140, or used parts off ebay.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2008, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks Basscliff, I was actully reading your stator page as you posted.

Comment

I can't figure out why but the '79 stator is a different part number from the 80-83 GS850 models. Shouldnt they both work? The reason I ask is because I have a 79 and they aren't easy to come by AND I think I need a replacement.
            Does anyone know?

Josh

Comment

Let me ask someone who knows

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
              I can't figure out why but the '79 stator is a different part number from the 80-83 GS850 models. Shouldnt they both work? The reason I ask is because I have a 79 and they aren't easy to come by AND I think I need a replacement.
              Does anyone know?
              Hi Mr. ironsheik,

The main differences between the '79 and '80 models were the change from points to electronic ignition and from VM to CV carbs. Rick's lists the same part number for both years. Electrosport does not list a stator for '79.

'79=31401-45011
              '80=31401-45110
              '81=31401-45110
              '82=31401-45110
              '83=31401-45111

Most parts fiches show the same "updated" number for '80-'83 as 31401-45111. These are 18-pole stators. The '79 used a 12 pole stator. I think the 18-pole part will fit. What concerns me is the clearance as it fits inside the rotor and whether or not the mounting holes line up inside the cover. If the mounting holes line up, then the worst case scenario might require the later model rotor too. Let's ask Ms. SqDancerLynn1. She has a '79 and knows everything. :-D

But first, verify that your present stator is bad. What is the AC output on each leg?

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Your humble servant

Originally posted by Weston666 View Post
                Thanks Basscliff, I was actully reading your stator page as you posted.
                Well, come on in and make yourself at home! :-D

Feel free to download and keep anything you like. Tell a friend.

BassCliff

Comment

Well I have to do more testing tomorrow but when I move a digital multimeter near the engine, it goes haywire indicating some magnetic craziness with the stator. The RR is good I know.

Thanks.

Comment

Only thing that can do that to a meter is the ignition system. No way that's from the stator.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ironsheik, make sure you have a good connection with your probe leads touching the metal surface you are testing, I was picking up some weird readings also but when i finally got a good connection with the leads it started showing up right

Comment

If infact the stator is bad send it out to be rebuilt. Checking The Reg is BEST done on a running bike !!!! Ohm meter readings on the reg don't always give you the full picture

Comment

Working...
                        X