Troubles shifting from 1 to 2 while cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubles shifting from 1 to 2 while cold

I have a 1979 GS850. I did an engine rebuild about 800 miles ago (split cases, bored out & new pistons, new cam chain, valve seats ground, all new seals etc. etc.). The engine runs well, no problems there, however, when the bike is cold I have difficulty shifting from first to second gear. I usually let it warm up for a couple minutes with the choke on and then take off choke and ride. After the bike has warmed up (10min of riding), I have no problems shifting, if I do get to second, down shifting is no problem. I just changed the oil, castrol 10-w40 (I have had a couple different brands in it, but always 10-w40). Oil change didn't seem to help. Could this be a clutch problem or more serious, like bent shift forks? I can usually get it into second if I stop the bike at a stop sign, but if I forget it is kind of annoying to ride until the next stop in 1st gear. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Luke

I get this on both bikes. Happens more on cold days. You could try going with a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic. That might help.

Comment

Rotella T gives me a nicer easier shift than Castrol 10/40. I use the 15/40 stuff.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When I had my '83 750E, it would get so bad that I would have to adjust the clutch cable when I left the house, then constantly adjust it as the day went on. Rotella made a big difference.
        I ended up taking the whole cable assembly apart, cleaning everything very well, put in a new cable and made sure all the cable/linkage was well lubed.
        It made a difference, but it still was a tad tight when cold.

I'm not sure, however - if you do a search - you may see my old thread. Been a couple years or more. :-D

Comment

Sounds like trying different oil is an easy first step. I'll probably wait a bit as I only have about 50 miles on this oil change and hopefully as the weather warms up it won't be as much of a problem.

Thanks,

Luke

Comment

Separate oils for crankcase and gearbox!

Hi Mr. lukehan,

Please forgive me if I state the obvious. After rebuilding your motor I'm sure you know your 850G has separate cases for the crankcase oil and the bevel gear oil. I run 20w50 synthetic blend in the crankcase and 75w90 full synthetic in the bevel gears and final drive unit. I have found that if you overfill the bevel gears you can get harder shifting, especially when cold. See my little BikeCliff website for fluid changing pictorials. Note that in the pictorial guide I, indeed, overfilled the bevel gears. Use the oil level screw to ensure you get the proper amount of gear oil. Change the crankcase oil every 1500 miles or so, sooner right after a rebuild. Change the bevel gear oil every 7500 miles or so. Be sure to download a PDF manual for your bike while you're visiting my site. Tell a friend.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I'll check that as well, maybe try synthetic gear oil, I want to stay non synthetic for the regular oil as I am still in the late stages of break in after the rebuild.

Thanks,

Luke

Comment

See: Ilgrant fix for GS850 Clutch Drag

Hi
                GSer Ilgrant (New Zeland) has already addressed the root cause of your problem back in Dec 2007. A lot of folks chimed in back then about juggling oil: It's better with this oil or that . That addresses the symptom, not the mechanical problem. Suzuki released a Tech Update to modify the clutch release rack on your 1979 GS850 to address owners who were complaining about "Clutch Drag" so I am sure its applicable to your model. The clutch drag symptom is also influenced by the wear on the inner clutch hub which holds the metal clutch plates. Those splines can be cleaned with a file but be prepared for about 3 hours of work.

I don't own a GS850 but I incorporated most of his modifications when I had my GS1000 clutch basket modified by Falicon. If Ilgrant does not respond, I can send you the Pdf's he e-mailed me.
                1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                  Hi
                  GSer Ilgrant (New Zeland) has already addressed the root cause of your problem back in Dec 2007. A lot of folks chimed in back then about juggling oil: It's better with this oil or that . That addresses the symptom, not the mechanical problem. Suzuki released a Tech Update to modify the clutch release rack on your 1979 GS850 to address owners who were complaining about "Clutch Drag" so I am sure its applicable to your model. The clutch drag symptom is also influenced by the wear on the inner clutch hub which holds the metal clutch plates. Those splines can be cleaned with a file but be prepared for about 3 hours of work.

I don't own a GS850 but I incorporated most of his modifications when I had my GS1000 clutch basket modified by Falicon. If Ilgrant does not respond, I can send you the Pdf's he e-mailed me.
                  Lukehan, you can PM me for this or accept srsupertraps offer. It's good to hear that he has benefited from these mods.
                  I have tried to have this and another mod filed "In the garage" but have drawn a blank. The floor is oily and dusty in there, through a lack of maintenamce since 2006.
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                    Lukehan, you can PM me for this or accept srsupertraps offer. It's good to hear that he has benefited from these mods.
                    I have tried to have this and another mod filed "In the garage" but have drawn a blank. The floor is oily and dusty in there, through a lack of maintenamce since 2006.
                    I apologize 49er (Ian), since we corresponded by e-mail several times your e-mail address stuck in my head. I am certainly suffering from CRS. I took the liberty to upload the files you sent me on Mediafire so others may download the Suzuki Technical Bulletins you provided. Here you go . . . The first three links reference the Suzuki bulletins; the last three address 49er's Inner Clutch Hub modification and spline clean up.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the files, as a graduate student with no garage it may have to wait until the summer when I have more time, so for now I may try a different oil and deal with it for a couple more months. Thanks again for all of your help

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                        I apologize 49er (Ian), since we corresponded by e-mail several times your e-mail address stuck in my head. I am certainly suffering from CRS. I took the liberty to upload the files you sent me on Mediafire so others may download the Suzuki Technical Bulletins you provided. Here you go . . . The first three links reference the Suzuki bulletins; the last three address 49er's Inner Clutch Hub modification and spline clean up.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...dxvhiw&thumb=4
                        Apology accepted. I'm not paranoid about my ID.
                        How well did those mods work on your GS1000? I found a huge improvement on the 850's cold clutch operation.
                        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X