Replacing a head on 1982 GS650???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing a head on 1982 GS650???

Does anyone knows for sure if 1981 GS650 head is the same as the head on 1982 GS650?

I snapped 10 bolts holding the cam bearings journals trying to change the gaskets. I tried to drill a hole for a screw extractor and it is not going that well Can't even imaging at this point to do 10 bolts by myself with hand held drill...
    So now I'm considering to buy a used head . The one I found is from 1981 GS650. I checked bikebandit.com for part # and it appears the same- but I need to know for sure!
    Also what should I consider to get along (be aware of) with a used replacement head?

Thanks!

There are 650E (chain drive) and 650G (shaft drive) models, and the engines are very different, even if the 1981 and 1982 model years interchange. Be sure that the head is for the correct model.

Why are you snapping off so many bolts? This shouldn't happen unless a previous owner severely overtightened the bolts. There are many threads on removing bolts. The Tips and Tricks forum is the place to search first for useful methods.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Take it to a machine shop.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        There are 650E (chain drive) and 650G (shaft drive) models, and the engines are very different, even if the 1981 and 1982 model years interchange. Be sure that the head is for the correct model.

Why are you snapping off so many bolts? This shouldn't happen unless a previous owner severely overtightened the bolts. There are many threads on removing bolts. The Tips and Tricks forum is the place to search first for useful methods.

Thanks for the advice. I don't know why so many bolts snapped. The bike has only 15K on it and I suspect that previous owner actually never went there but I don't know for sure. As I said I tried to drill a 2mm hole for the screw extractor and it is really a pain to do it with regular drill. Plus real possibility of breaking the drill bit or extractor doing all 10 bolts.

Comment

Working...
        X