Spring Compressors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Compressors

Has anyone had any luck using spring compressors on stock springs?

Something like

or

I don't mind taking a file to them to create some clearance etc if need be. Can't find any cheap moto specific ones....

I have four shocks & 3 of them have the adjusters on the wrong way, can't get to them when fitted to the bike!

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Hi Salty,
    I have used those motor vehicle ones in the black and white picture. They are a bit awkward but had the rear shocks off and just had to use some force to get one lip of the adjuster into the top and one lip at the other side into the bottom.
    Just before I started compressing the spring I tied the whole lot together with some cable ties to sto pt slipping off. Compressing is slightly lopsided, but works. I could easily slide out the washers and pull the spring off the shock.

Comment

Hi Salty,
      I have used those motor vehicle ones in the black and white picture. They are a bit awkward but had the rear shocks off and just had to use some force to get one lip of the adjuster into the top and one lip at the other side into the bottom.
      Just before I started compressing the spring I tied the whole lot together with some cable ties to stop it slipping off. Compressing is slightly lopsided, but works. I could easily slide out the washers and pull the spring off the shock.

Comment

Motorcycle Tool Shock Spring Compressor

These are a little more pricey but they work about as well as can be expected. You usually need to hold the bottom of the shock in a vice and then hold either compressor on each side of the spring as you crank it down. They have plastic jaws with a spare pair so the is not much chance for damage to the shock.

As I recall, PitPosse was pretty good and prompt on a few things I ordered. Not the cheapest at $50 with shipping but you can then get your shocks apart and as you have found not much in the way of alternatives.

Posplayr
        Last edited by posplayr; 03-19-2008, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Has anyone had any luck using spring compressors on stock springs?

I don't mind taking a file to them to create some clearance etc if need be. Can't find any cheap moto specific ones....

I have four shocks & 3 of them have the adjusters on the wrong way, can't get to them when fitted to the bike!

Dan
          I've used this on car struts before and they work quite well. Not sure if the ears are too big for smaller bike springs. I don't recommend filing them down as wouldn't this weaken the metal? The last thing you want is a spring to unleash on your finger or other body parts.

Comment

Working...
          X