progressive fork spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progressive fork spring question

I have progressive springs in my 1150e parts bike. I just had the fork seals done on my bike and I am wondering if I install the progressive springs in my bike will I have to do any thing with the fluid level ? If I can just remove the old ones and install the progressive with out messing up the fluid level I'll do it.

Just measure the oil level before you remove the old springs then check it again after the swap. Shouldn't be off by much if at all. You can always adjust the level after the swap.

Comment

I think Billy has the right idea. I would just dip a wire into each fork tube and mark the oil level on the wires. After putting in the new springs you can just re-dip the wires and see how much oil you need to add.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        I think Billy has the right idea. I would just dip a wire into each fork tube and mark the oil level on the wires. After putting in the new springs you can just re-dip the wires and see how much oil you need to add.

Steve
        thanks steve. I never thought of the wire dipping, that will make it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          Just measure the oil level before you remove the old springs then check it again after the swap. Shouldn't be off by much if at all. You can always adjust the level after the swap.
          What is more important, the volume of oil or the fluid level? If I drain the oil I can measure volume, or the easier way that steve suggested I can measure the fluid level. Is that ok?

Comment

I am not sure which is better but most manuals state the oil level and the amount of oil.

Steve

Comment

Since the forkseals were replaced they were probably leaking oil and the level may have dropped a bit from the required level.
              You might wanna check the manual for the amount and level.

Then again the fork oil was probably changed when the seals where done.

Comment

I just put Progressive Suspension fork springs on my 1100EX. The installation instructions state that you should measure the oil level, cause the PS springs tend to displace more oil than the OEM. This seems to be true in my case, 'cause more of these beefier springs are in the oil below new 3 inch spacers. The shop seemed a little dense on this point, and they weren't set up to measure except by volume. I hope they got it right. I'm looking forward to providing some sort of PS fork springs review, but the EX won't be on the road for a couple of months while I break in the wife's new Kawasaki ZR-7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
                  I just put Progressive Suspension fork springs on my 1100EX. The installation instructions state that you should measure the oil level, cause the PS springs tend to displace more oil than the OEM. This seems to be true in my case, 'cause more of these beefier springs are in the oil below new 3 inch spacers. The shop seemed a little dense on this point, and they weren't set up to measure except by volume. I hope they got it right. I'm looking forward to providing some sort of PS fork springs review, but the EX won't be on the road for a couple of months while I break in the wife's new Kawasaki ZR-7S.
                  Im confused. So should I have the same fork fluid level (not volume) as I do with the stock springs?

Comment

I would think you would want to have the same level so when the fork compresses you will have the same damping pressure as before.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                      I would think you would want to have the same level so when the fork compresses you will have the same damping pressure as before.
                      Thanks billy, that makes sense. I saw a big difference in handling with the new seals and I am looking foward to getting the progressive springd back in. My "E" model handled great with them and I hope they improve the handling even more of my "ES"

Comment

Hey Skip,

If you would like the amount the book says to put in I can look it up for you. That is what I did when I put my springs in a few years ago.

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry
                          Hey Skip,

If you would like the amount the book says to put in I can look it up for you. That is what I did when I put my springs in a few years ago.

Gerry
                          By book do you mean factory manual or the progressive instructions? I have the factory manual and already have the correct amount of fluid in the forks for the factory springs. if thats what you have in yours how did it work out? I installed my springs on my "E" model over 15 years ago and lost the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
                            Hey Skip,

Gerry
                            By book do you mean factory manual or the progressive instructions? I have the factory manual and already have the correct amount of fluid in the forks for the factory springs. if thats what you have in yours how did it work out? I installed my springs on my "E" model over 15 years ago and lost the instructions
                            Skip, I meant the factory manual.
                            Yes, thats what I did and it worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
                              Hey Skip,

Gerry
                              Skip, I meant the factory manual.
                              Yes, thats what I did and it worked great.
                              Gerry what weight fork oil do you use and how about air how many psi if any?

Comment

Working...
                              X