• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skip[
    Originally posted by Gerry
    Originally posted by skip[
    Hey Skip,

If you would like the amount the book says to put in I can look it up for you. That is what I did when I put my springs in a few years ago.

Gerry
    By book do you mean factory manual or the progressive instructions? I have the factory manual and already have the correct amount of fluid in the forks for the factory springs. if thats what you have in yours how did it work out? I installed my springs on my "E" model over 15 years ago and lost the instructions
    Skip, I meant the factory manual.
    Yes, thats what I did and it worked great.
    Gerry what weight fork oil do you use and how about air how many psi if any?
    Hey Skip,

I think I used 15 weight and the max psi was 36 and I used 15-20.

I had my bike out for the first time this year yesterday. The 89 gsxr front end feels great on the old girl. I have regular bars on it now and what a difference in comfort. I was only out for an hour (no blinkers or any bodywork)but we will see how the comfort is when I ride a little longer.

Gerry

Comment

Air? what Air ? my 1150 has no air on it front or rear?
      Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
        Dink
        I think the Canadian model was the only one with the air.

Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
          Dink
          Mine is a U.S. modle "E" and the parts frame was an "ES" and they both have air in the front ends. Gerry I hope you didn't mean 36psi in your forks? I thought they only recommend 4 to 6 psi?

Comment

Hey Skip,

I had a look in the manual and the max psi is 35 for the canadian model. Sounds high eh! But it works well or should I say it used to work well when it was on my bike.

Gerry

Comment

Hey Skip,

I had a look in the manual and the max psi is 35 for the canadian model. Sounds high eh! But it works well or should I say it used to work well when it was on my bike.

Gerry
              Thanks gerry I have to experiment till I find a combo of fork oil and air that I like.

Comment

You're not supposed to use any air with Progressive springs. If the preload isn't enough you use a longer spacer.

Comment

I had my bike out for the first time this year yesterday. The 89 gsxr front end feels great on the old girl. I have regular bars on it now and what a difference in comfort. I was only out for an hour (no blinkers or any bodywork)but we will see how the comfort is when I ride a little longer.
                  The combination of the 43mm Gixxer front end and 120 radial up front makes a huge difference in handling. Just wait until you have the time to get a big radial out back. It will feel like you are riding on rails. Point it where you want to go and that's where it goes, rock solid. I don't think you will have any trouble just using a 4.5" rim in your stock swingarm with a 160 radial. You have to use a variety of parts from different bikes to make it work, but I can give you the lowdown when you're ready. I think I even have an extra caliper or two lying around. The brakes are also a big improvement over stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    You're not supposed to use any air with Progressive springs. If the preload isn't enough you use a longer spacer.
                    Im using 15 wt oil and no air but in bumpy corners its a tough ride I'm using a three inch spacer that came with my kit. I think ill try 10 wt oil next what do you think?(or should I go straight to 5 wt)

Comment

Skip,
                      Check the amount of sag you're running. Put the bike on its centerstand or use a front end lift to get the front end fully extended. Measure the amount of upper tube showing below the triple clamp. Then with the bike on the ground and your weight in the seat measure that distance again. For a firm ride shoot for 1" of difference (sag). For a softer ride go for maybe 1 1/2". You'll have to experiment a little to see where you like it. If that doesn't work then play with oil weight. I think 10 is what is recomended by Suzuki. All the weight of the oil does is change how quickly the front end reacts and settles down after being disturbed. You want to run as little damping as possible without inducing a pogo effect.

Comment

BTW, I'm sure you know this, but you change the length of the spacer to adjust your sag.

Comment

BTW, I'm sure you know this, but you change the length of the spacer to adjust your sag.
                          I was thinking oil because when I had the springs in my "E" model I dont remember the harsh ride. I know my tire pressure is higher than I normally run and im going to lower it . the 3 inch spacer is the same one I used on the "E"model and it worked good back then. will i notice the difference between 15 wt and 10 wt?

Comment

10 weight will let the suspension react quicker to road irregularities.

Comment

10 weight will let the suspension react quicker to road irregularities.
                              I think that may be the way to go, its the little ripples and bumps in the corners that just arent right. I might have even had 5 wt in back then I cant remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X