Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many MPG's?

Hi,

I am the proud owner of Ron Bayless' old 1980 GS1000GLT. It has pod filters and stock exhaust. I think Ron had the carbs done and larger jets were installed.

I just did a valve job, all are now in spec. New spark plugs too.

Problem: I am getting about 30mpg on it. 3.6 gal tank last me 100 miles if I am lucky. I pulled the plugs and they look exactly like the "normal" picture in the manual. Not oily or anything.

Ron had the same problem I am having, read it here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=112184

Am I dealing with a carb issue here?

For your help, I know how much ya'll love pictures (not that they help), but
    they never hurt.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new ride. \\/

However, with those mods, you should be more concerned with SPM than MPG.

That's Smiles Per Mile. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Most likely a bunch of little things slightly misadjusted...
      Timing and advance, jet needle position, cam timing, valve clearances, brake drag, low tires, oil too thick, carb synch, high performance cam, it's a long list. CV carbs, pods and stock restrictive exhausts is a strange combo, bet it isn't jetted exactly perfectly either. Little details all seem to add up to more than their total. It should be 40 plus mpg unless you are nailing it, closer to fifty if all is well and you just putt.

Nice looking bike, what is the little pod filter behind the clutch?
      Last edited by tkent02; 03-20-2008, 12:20 AM.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That would be the crankcase breather filter... I know its an exit exhaust...but its the minor details. I know the pictures are incorrect (instrument cluster)...we are restoring the bike and since have new engine covers on it as well as chrome exhaust guards.

If its timing and advance, how do I adjust an electronic ignition? I am used to the points on a 1979 E model (below).

Assuming all else is equal... how do I get MPG's back up? Stock airbox and jetting? Or would it be better to get a 4-1 exhaust?

I really haven't tore into it as it was running well. I am just using it to put around until I can get this bike going: (I try to only have 1 GS down at a time, not both).

Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2008, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Do you ride hard? If so 30 is good. Do a good highway trip at steady MPH and check your milege then.
          I helped Ron with these mods. Did he install a Dynojet kit? You might have to lower the needle a half step.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Do you ride hard? If so 30 is good. Do a good highway trip at steady MPH and check your milege then.
            I helped Ron with these mods. Did he install a Dynojet kit? You might have to lower the needle a half step.
            I've sent him some emails with no replies. The only thing I know is that in the manual he gave me, he scribbled down in the margins that at 26xxx miles he rejetted.

I have not tore into this bike yet, just electrical and cosmetics to get it up and running. I am just trying to gauge what I am in for.

My wrecked GS1000E got 42 mpg easily, so I was a little thrown off (and standed in the middle of nowhere Texas) when I ran out of gas with only 100 miles on the clock.

I ride it fairly hard I suppose. Its a 1000cc motor, how else am I to ride it? \\/

Comment

Originally posted by phaserburn View Post
              I've sent him some emails with no replies. The only thing I know is that in the manual he gave me, he scribbled down in the margins that at 26xxx miles he rejetted.

I have not tore into this bike yet, just electrical and cosmetics to get it up and running. I am just trying to gauge what I am in for.

My wrecked GS1000E got 42 mpg easily, so I was a little thrown off (and standed in the middle of nowhere Texas) when I ran out of gas with only 100 miles on the clock.

I ride it fairly hard I suppose. Its a 1000cc motor, how else am I to ride it? \\/
              Rode hard and put away wet. :-D
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Riding hard is one of the easiest ways to lower your MPG. Last year, on a group ride, the first two tanks were at 70-75 mph on the freeway, into a 5-10 mph headwind. My wife's 850 got 30-31 mpg. Later, on the same trip, slowing down to 60 mph or so on the two-lane roads (in the mountains of WV), (s)mileage went up into the 50s, with a peak of 58.78 mpg. Overall mpg for the 1200-mile trip was 48.51. 8-[

Yes, it was ridden enthusiasticaly in the mountains, but keeping the top speed down below 65 makes a BIG difference.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You now know why "L" owners are in the 90 Mile club. The mileage You state is a little low but with the Mods and a "Spirited" riding style not Surprising. Combine that with the small tank and You too are a member of the 90 miles and look for gas club. Being shaft driven alone precludes the G from matching Your E's mileage.
                  sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                  2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Run the bike on a dyno and see where your A/F ratio is at cruising and going WOT.

I'm not sure what a dyno jet stage 1 kit actually consists of, but if your low speed jets have been changed, try running stock ones.

Always confirm with a wide band sensor on the dyno. Plugs while close, can be hard to perfectly dial in, a wide band never lies.

Rolling on the drum at 60 mph you'd want to be around 14.5-15 a/f ratio. If it were liquid cooled you could lean it out a tad more, but I wouldn't advise so with your mill being air-cooled.

WOT 12-12.5

Comment

Working...
                    X