Carb cleaning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb cleaning question

Don`t know if its the same everywhere, but over here the only carb cleaners you can get are the spray type. I`ve got some old carbs that are pretty gunged up, so want to strip em down and soak the parts. Used to be able to get a liquid for that, but apparently no more as it was considered a health hazard. Anyway, I`ve heard that daft though it sounds, soaking parts in coca cola or vinegar works. Sounds a bit strange to me, but wondered if anyone has tried this ?. Guess with both you would have to really rinse them down well after and blow everything out with compressed air. Any advice much appreciated.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

What smells so good?

Hi Mr. tomo,

Yes, I've read here that riders have used vinegar, strong concentrations of boiling lemon juice, even tomato juice, to dip their carbs. It might take longer than Berryman's, but it's effective.

"Oh honey, are you cooking dinner tonight? What's on the menu?"

"Carburetors marinara!" :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I used to work for Cable and Wireless, and I know the Trans-Andean maintenance crews used Coca-Cola to clean their tools. Just chuck them in and leave overnight, then wash off with water.

I don't know what the current formulation does, but pour a glass and put a dirty copper coin in it overnight to see.

Comment

Cheers guys. I`ll give the coca cola a try, might just try the vinegar on my CX500 carbs too. Will let you know how it goes.
        1978 GS750
        1979 GS750 chop
        1979 GS550
        2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
        2000 Enfield Bullet 500
        1992 XV750 Virago
        2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

I think there is lots of urban legend about Coca-Cola removing rust and what have you. My understanding is that the original formula of Coke was highly acidic but that has been toned down with current formulations.

I’ve read about people boiling out their carbs using an acidic solution and can’t see how it would hurt to try; reputed to make quite a stench so a hot plate outside might be in order. Give it a try and report back. I’m sure lots of folks around here would be interested in the feedback.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            I think there is lots of urban legend about Coca-Cola removing rust and what have you. My understanding is that the original formula of Coke was highly acidic but that has been toned down with current formulations.

I’ve read about people boiling out their carbs using an acidic solution and can’t see how it would hurt to try; reputed to make quite a stench so a hot plate outside might be in order. Give it a try and report back. I’m sure lots of folks around here would be interested in the feedback.
            There's enough urban legend about Coke that Myth Busters did an episode on it. Most of the myths were confirmed or at least plausible. Unfortunately, I can't remember which weren't (except the Pop Rocks).
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I tried boiling my 850 piston with the ring stuck to it in lemon juice, water and detergent, it got the last of the carbon and varnish off, also discolored the metal a darker gray than the other three pistons. I threw a couple other little parts in to see if it cleaned them, it did. Not sure which chemical caused the discoloration.
              My grill outdoors has a burner on the side, but my wife still got upset that I used her pan. Go figure.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                my wife still got upset that I used her pan. Go figure.
                Yeah, that's really weird.

My wife is the same. Go figure :-D

Comment

Try Acrylic or laquer paint thinners from a spray painting supplier. You can get it in 1 or 4 litre tins. The acrylic has MEK in it which helps. You can also buy MEK in 4 litre tins as well. Good luck.

Comment

A mate of mine swears by using brake fluid for cleaning carb bodies on car , so i would asume this will work on bike carb as they are both alloy bodies, i,d try it on a small area first before soaking the whole body

Comment

I tried boiling my 850 piston with the ring stuck to it in lemon juice, water and detergent, it got the last of the carbon and varnish off, also discolored the metal a darker gray than the other three pistons. I threw a couple other little parts in to see if it cleaned them, it did. Not sure which chemical caused the discoloration.
                      My grill outdoors has a burner on the side, but my wife still got upset that I used her pan. Go figure.
                      Bet on the lemon juice as the "darkening" culprit. In that specific batch, you had two dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel). The lemon juice to begin with, neutralized the detergent (ask your wife if she's ever used a mild lemon juice and water solution to rinse shampoo from her hair) then the citric acid in the lemon juice created an electrolytic reaction between the two dissimilar metals to cause the darkening of the aluminum piston. Very similar to sticking a penny and a galvanized nail into a lemon and powering a tiny LED bulb.... A battery in essence The molecular reaction at the surface of the steel rings transferred some of its color to the aluminum.

One of those really neat things you learn helping your children with science homework

Pure vinegar is my grease/rust dissolver of choice when in a bind for the proper chemical. It does a decent job.

Comment

Lemon juice, which has acetic acid. Aluminum reacts rapidly with acids.

I was going to tell you to buy a gallon can of carburetor dip, but I see that you live in the UK, where people apparently aren't expected to be responsbile....

I'd start by seeing if you can still buy paint remover that is made from methanol and methylene chloride, without thickening agents. Very nasty stuff on skin and never use it inside. I'd put some of that in methanol, or acetone or laquer thinner or xylene, and dip the carbs in that (after removing all rubber parts. Check first on small spots - I can't see how it would damage the metal, but I've never tried it.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

When I was looking for carb cleaner I expressed my concerns to a retired mechanic at a local parts shop, about the effectiveness of using spray cans (rather buying a 20 litre drum for close to $200) he suggested that you get good economy and effective cleaning by using the spray cans on the jets and other really hard to get at nook's and cranny's and that most of the carb can be cleaned using a toothbrush with a small amount of carb cleaner squirted into the lid of the spray can.

I went one step further and cleaned my carbs inside and out used the tooth brush and petrol before using the carb cleaner & brush to deal to the small amount of really stubborn crud. I still have a quarter of the can left and the carb is as clean as the proverbial

Comment

Yes?

Originally posted by TAFF View Post
                            A mate of mine swears by using brake fluid for cleaning carb bodies on car , so i would asume this will work on bike carb as they are both alloy bodies, i,d try it on a small area first before soaking the whole body
                            This sounds like the best idea, by far, to me. If it will remove baked on paint (and it most certainly will), it should do a real 'number' on carb gunk.:?
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I`ll experiment with some other carbs I have in the spares dept (garden hut) and let you know how I get on.
                              1978 GS750
                              1979 GS750 chop
                              1979 GS550
                              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                              1992 XV750 Virago
                              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
                              X