Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100 swingarm wheel size question.

Hi all,

I am new to this board so exucse me if I am asking somthing thats been talked about. I did a search first and could not come up the the answers so i thought i'd post. Here goes

I just bought a GS1100 aluminum swingarm and wanted to know if and what size wheel i can fit into it as painlessly as possible. Can I fit a 4.5" wheel from any japanese bike or is that too wide?

Thanks
    galaxian

no one on this board has ever fitter a larger wheel onto their bike?? :? 8O

Comment

Most folks put a swingarm off a newer GSXR on their bikes...It is not so much the swingarm that limits the wheel size but the interference with the frame when you off set the sprockets to accomidate the wider tire. I believe someone has said that a 160 is about as wide as you could go.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Hap

Comment

The frame definately limits the width of my tire on my 79 750e. I have no room for expansion and am forced to run stock.

Dave W.

Comment

thanks guys!! A 160 tire would be more than fine for me. I really should have said something as to which bike i am putting this on but fearing rejection i didnt...kz650 8O

Its a bolt in procedure and i can gain some tire width as well. I really wanted to hear some one who ones a suzuki to confirm this. My buddy with an 82 katana told me that it is possible but did not elaborate on which wheel can or cannot fit.

So with this said a 160 tire is about a 4.5" wheel then? I wonder how much i will need to offset the front sproket by??

thanks for all the help!!!!!

Comment

On my bike, -83 1100, I mounted a widened org. wheel that is 4,5". On that I put a MICHELIN Pilot ROAD wich seems to last forever....I offset my sprockets with home made items with 3mm, but I would need another 2mm to go clear the tyre(The Michelin is wider than my previous METZELER)
            A friend with a MOTO-MARTIN frame put a GSX-R -89 wheel that is 4,5". He had to go in the other direction at the rear sprocket, narrower with, I think, 5mm, TAKE a look at his website. Many mods that fit the GS since he runs a 1200cc GS(X) engine. www.biker66.com
            It?s all in English though we are Swedes.

Comment

I'm running a 4.5" GSX-R wheel on my '85 700 with a 160/17". You just knock out the Gixxer bearings if the id is different than your stock axle and install your wheel bearings and bearing support out of your hub. You may also need to add length to the stock bearing support so it ends up the same length as the Gixxer support. I had to use a Katana 600 caliper hanger, spacers, Gixxer caliper, Gixxer sprocket, Gixxer rotor, and move the brake torque arm to the bottom of the swingarm. I ground down an old countershaft sprocket for a spacer to move the sprocket out about 3/16". That was the most I could go and still have enough spline to grab the lock washer for the sprocket. Seems to be enough. Much more and you start getting close to the frame anyway.

Comment

thanks for all the help guys!!!! I think i am going to stick with the stock rim until i find a 4" or 4.5" rim that I can fit into the swingarm.

Comment

Old thread bump with a picture request. Does anyone have a photo closeup of their GS1100 swingarm mounted with a 160 tire along with the modified brake setup that Billy Ricks talks about above?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X