Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pan Gasket

Hi all
    Just want to tell everyone first that I spend about one hour every morning with my coffee looking in this section, it is a great help!! Now for the question..I replaced the oil pan and gasket on my 1980 GS750E and filled it with oil for the first ime, started it and ran it for a little while (ten minutes), and it is leaking a little towards the back of the oil pan on or near the gasket. Does the gasket need to swell alittle before a good seal? Is this normal Will it eventually stop I torqued with a torque wrench all bolts that hold the pan on to spec as listed in the Haynes manual.

Second question..I replaced the Stator with an Electrex unit, Reg/Rec is a new OEM one (yes..I know..Electrex is better, but already purchased this one), I soldered all connections and shrinkwrapped as suggested on this site, I also ran an extra ground wire to the battery ground from the Reg/Rec. While running the bike at 5000RPM I get a reading on a digital multimeter of 13.5 Volts, this seems low, is it alright??
    8O

Scott

Re: Oil Pan Gasket

Originally posted by scottjm
    Hi all
    Just want to tell everyone first that I spend about one hour every morning with my coffee looking in this section, it is a great help!! Now for the question..I replaced the oil pan and gasket on my 1980 GS750E and filled it with oil for the first ime, started it and ran it for a little while (ten minutes), and it is leaking a little towards the back of the oil pan on or near the gasket. Does the gasket need to swell alittle before a good seal? Is this normal Will it eventually stop I torqued with a torque wrench all bolts that hold the pan on to spec as listed in the Haynes manual.

Second question..I replaced the Stator with an Electrex unit, Reg/Rec is a new OEM one (yes..I know..Electrex is better, but already purchased this one), I soldered all connections and shrinkwrapped as suggested on this site, I also ran an extra ground wire to the battery ground from the Reg/Rec. While running the bike at 5000RPM I get a reading on a digital multimeter of 13.5 Volts, this seems low, is it alright??
    8O

Scott
    retourqu when it is cold again
    i used some permatex black on mine. sometime they never leak and other times the permatex is necessary. Any gasket sealer i would guess. I also use the sealer when i change my oil filter.

Comment

oil pan

Thanks Scotty,
      I might see if it swells up and seals if not I will use the permatex, as far as the charging goes...what do you think, or if Hap happens (excuse the pun..)to see this, what do you think?

Scott

Comment

Re: oil pan

Thanks Scotty,
        I might see if it swells up and seals if not I will use the permatex, as far as the charging goes...what do you think, or if Hap happens (excuse the pun..)to see this, what do you think?

Scott
        This is what the stator papers are for. Good luck in diagnosing.

Comment

You're right Scotty, and I have them almost memorized, I ran the test and all is well, just that I have 13.5 Volts coming out of it, as long as its more then 12 it should be alright huh

Comment

You're right Scotty, and I have them almost memorized, I ran the test and all is well, just that I have 13.5 Volts coming out of it, as long as its more then 12 it should be alright huh
            I dont know the answer. What do the stator papers say on the matter.???

Comment

You could test the meter on a car to see if you get 14 Volts or 13.5. Other than that I would check the voltage across the output of the RR to the case, and then to the negative battery terminal. Then I would check it across the battery to see what is going on.

Steve

Comment

You may not have got all of the old gasket off or you may have scratched the soft sealing surface so try a little gasket sealer/ gasket maker but use it very sparingly

Comment

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I will try all suggested and get back to you with a report.
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X