ignition problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition problems

i got my colortune today from royt69 (thanks roy!) and plugged it in and started her up, after she was warmed up of course. i saw while looking through the window, it didnt fire every combustion stroke, no matter what i did with the mixture screw and it always burned blue. i was going to run some seafoam through the carbs to see if i could clear it up a bit. any other suggestions?

also, found out just now that the pepboys in cinnaminson gave me the wrong plugs. B8ES is stock and they gave me BPR6ES. morons. well i checked spark with the 6s and i got a tiny blue spark, then i plugged in the 8s i had when i got the bike, nice fat blue spark.\\/ stupid resistor(and pepboys people!)

Originally posted by catbed View Post
    i got my colortune today from royt69 (thanks roy!) and plugged it in and started her up, after she was warmed up of course. i saw while looking through the window, it didnt fire every combustion stroke, no matter what i did with the mixture screw and it always burned blue........(snip)... gave me the wrong plugs. B8ES is stock and they gave me BPR6ES.
    Hi there cat. Was just reading up on the colortune and was thinking it should be a good tool in the arsenal! I keyed on a couple of points in your post.....first that you see an ignition miss, and secondly it always seems to burn correctly (when it does fire....I concluded). First, I'd want to switch colortune plugs to make sure that it's not a problem with one of them (always a good idea to confirm your test equipment first). If the problem doesn't change to a different cylinder then you might consider a problem with the associated spark plug wire. This is the easiest order of progression but in fact you ought to confirm engine basics first....compression and valve adjustment - certainly if nothing is found in the above, do THESE. Reason I mention the plug wire (or connector etc) is that you do see a blue firing and not some other off-mixture (or related) symptom.

NGK plugs.....plugs or any part it's often best if you can confirm your own parts before ordering - the difference between those 2 plugs is that the BPR6ES are 2 heat ranges hotter WITH a projected nose on the plug - this would normally be used on lower compression engines with an emissions optimized piston/combustion chamber combination (or is sometimes effective with an engine burning oil for example). The idea is to start the flame front in a specific spot in the combination. To your GS in good basic shape, it'd be a poor choice.

Comment

i changed it over from 4 to 1 and it still had missing. i lopped off 1/2 inch of the old wire and screwed it back in and will try tomorrow.

is there any difference between the b-12 carb cleaner fuel additive and seafoam? the b-12 seems more for cleaing, and seafoam all around.

Comment

Remember 1 and 4 fire off the same coil, 2 and 3 from the other. Try 2/3.

Comment

Working...
        X