82 1100E Carb Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100E Carb Swap

I am just finishing restoring the 1100E and have cleaned, O-ringed and adjusted a set of 49400 mikuni 34's from a 1100G. The bike flies! It fires up and idles great and has smooth acceleration through the gears. When I got the bike it had no carbs at all and I have bought 3 sets of 49400 carbs off eBay, all very dirty and two sets had serious probs. But I have a great set and will likely have another. My plugs look fine so far, but I have only ridden the bike a hundred or so miles. Anyone had experience with this swap?
    thanks,
    Lee :-D

Do the stock jetting and really unleash the beast.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Muser3, another East Texan here with an older GS. I have a 80 GS1100E with the stock CV carbs that the previous owner siliconed up the air fuel mixture screw holes. No stock airbox, so it has pods, and a supertrapp 4 into 1. I am looking for some good carbs to run with this set up. Can someone help me as to a good rack of carbs to run on this old beast. Someone suggested 33mm round slides but the only ones I find are very pricey. Any suggestions greatly apprecitated. Going out now to take some pictures of her.

Comment

Carb swap

Chef, I'm not sure I understand. My carb set has the stock jets which are larger than the stocks in the 49240(I think) orig. carbs on the 1100E. The bike really pulls hard and is low mileage.
        My daily ride is a BMW R1100RS and it has really great low rpm torque, but the GS is scary big grin fast.

Comment

I know the "scary big grin" feeling. I was just saying that those carbs are jetted for an 8 valve motor and you have a sixteen valve. If it runs great than leave it alone. Actually the 8 valve are jetted fatter than the 16 valve because the TSCC motors are more efficient.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

carb swap

Thanks for the clarification, Chef,
            It will be a while before I get the bike really finished with ss brake lines and progressive suspension so I am not planning any long trips on it yet. But when it is finished I will be able to check it out for real regarding mpg and oil temp at prolonged driving up to speed. The motor sounds smooth it revs fast so I know it is going to be a blast to ride. Being in my late 60's I prefer some wind protection so I will fit a pretty large windscreen on it. Hopefully that will all be done before the middle of the summer.
            Can't wait!!
            Lee :-D

Comment

Working...
            X