Coil compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil compatability

Quick (hopefully) question. I'm looking for new coils for my '80 GS850L. What kind of compatibility is there between different displacement/year bikes? For example, could I use coils from a 1981 GS1100 in my bike?

I have coils from a GS650 on my GS550. I just had to alter the electrical connections.
    Anyway they appear to work just the same.
    GS1000G

Comment

Might be different dimensions on the mounting points. I was going to put new GS550 coils on my GS1000 but they are about 1cm shorter, though I could make a mounting easy enough.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So now I'm looking at aftermarket coils....the only ones I've found are the Dyna coils and Nology coils. Can anyone tell me if the Nology coils will fit my '80 GS850?

Comment

Dont forget accel coils. I will try and get you a link

Comment

Look at the specs for your bike and see how many ohms resistance it specifies. If it's a points bike, it will be 5, if electronic, it will be 3. Then buy the coil (Nology, Accel, Dyna) with the correct number of ohms and has the correct number of outputs (a pair of two output in this case). I got a pair on US ebay (where I am) for $135.00 plus shipping. If you were building a drag bike, you'd get the 1.5 ohms.

Comment

The manual I found on the GS850 says primary impedance is "about 4 ohms".....? Is there a way to tell whether my ignition is points or electrical?

Comment

Originally posted by freki View Post
                The manual I found on the GS850 says primary impedance is "about 4 ohms".....? Is there a way to tell whether my ignition is points or electrical?
                The manual for my 1981 GS1000 says "3 to 5". I looked up your schematic on Babbits and it's electronic. Get the 3ohm coil. Go look at your schematic on one of the parts sites and make sure you don't have a ballast. I doubt it does. The total of the ballast and the coil should be 3 to 5 ohms. If you do have a ballast, take it out when you get the new coil and use coil only.

Comment

well, i'm pretty new to bikes, but if you pull off the small round side cover, i believe on the right of the bike, you will see the points.. if they are little relay looking things that spin mechanically and spark, you have points.

i'm kinda a noob but looks to me like electronic.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                    well, i'm pretty new to bikes, but if you pull off the small round side cover, i believe on the right of the bike, you will see the points.. if they are little relay looking things that spin mechanically and spark, you have points.

HA!
                    You would be correct. I think 1979 is the last year for points on the GS series.

Comment

Yes 80 on has electronic. The Accel's seem to be a little easier to mount than the Dyna Greens due to the way the wires connect to the coil (The dyna ones are angled the accel come straight out).

price is about the same. Got mine from Z1 enterprises for about $120.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post

Yeah I've got just relays there....it's electric I'm pretty sure.

Thanks everyone for all the help! :-D

Comment

Z1 doesn't carry Accel coils any more (so it seems anyway). Would these Dyna coils work?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

It would be nice to have the option of upgrading to a Dyna 2000 setup later on

Comment

I picked up a pair of Katana coils from a 2005 on e-bay. Like new with wires for $30. A lot cheaper than the aftermarkets. :-D

Comment

Those coils are not to be used with a Dyna S ignition system. They are made for a Dyna 2000 or Dyna 3000. So it depends on what ignition system you plan to use. If you are using a stock Suzuki ignition, either electronic or points, those coils are incompatible with it.

Earl

Originally posted by freki View Post
                              Z1 doesn't carry Accel coils any more (so it seems anyway). Would these Dyna coils work?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

It would be nice to have the option of upgrading to a Dyna 2000 setup later on
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X