Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float/needle valve "snuggness"

Hey Folks:

Rebuilding a set of 1981 GS1100E carbs. Everything looks exceptional but I have a question concerning the needle/float valves.

Should the needle valve "seats" be extremely snug as you place them down into the port provided on the carb.?

The "seats" (part with the screen bottom & rubber grommet/0-ring around the center) easily drop into the ports on my carbs. Should they need to be extemely tight or is it ok that they drop into the carb-ports with ease?

They should slide in with little or no effort. There is a bracket and bolt that holds them in in place and applies down pressure when tightened. You do have the correct o-rings on, yes?

Comment

The 0-rings are the originals and look to be in very good shape.

Comment

'pop'

The little screen/dome deal should snap onto the bottom of the needle valve before you seat the valve. When you push it in, use your thumb and be sure to push down straight; it should be neither loose or really tight...it should 'pop' in there and seat.

It would seem odd that the "O" rings would be original and also be in really good shape....even if they look good, they may be hardened and no longer as pliable as they need to be. If the valves slide in very easily, the "O" rings should be replaced for certain (because gas will leak by the valve).
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 03-24-2008, 01:00 PM.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

exactly what I was wanting to hear

Thanks fellas

Comment

A member here sells o-ring kits at cycleorings.com - very comprehensive kit. Even though the o-rings may look good, most likely they are like one on your float needle seat and should be replaced. It's well worth the effort.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Just placed an order with Steve @ cycleorings. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Must be a new guy at cycle o-rings. Never heard of "Steve" there.

Back to your original question...the 'seats' as you call them, should go into place easily, but should have some resistance as you need to have a seal from the o-ring. If that is loose at all, fuel can get past the inlet valve and play havoc with float level. Mild pressure with lubricated o-rings will get them into place nicely.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK.........ordered the o-rings. I saw the name "Steve" on the cycleoring-web site but I don't know who the hell "Steve" is. Robert Barr is the 0-ring dude. Honest mistake (not all my mistakes are honest).

Comment

Working...
                  X