450 carb kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 carb kit

Has anyone put together a kit for a 81 gs450. I have already done the stator and the forks. The right cylinder floods, bad! I bought this bike for $100 so my wife doesnt mind me spending a "little" money. Somebody please help.... I want to ride. Thanks, Kyle

Take the carb apart and remove the needle and seat assembly an clean it, and replace the O ring

Comment

Cool I got mine for a hundred and fifty. What I found out with mine was the following.

First off, I was only used to points. So with this bike in particular, the clutch handle needs to be pulled in because thier is a kill switch built in there somewhere to make the electrics work. Second was I had a flooded cyclinder too. It was the second one. This was caused by a bad float that was crushed due to some water freezing in there. You might find the same thing happening to yours. You can do what I did and use a soldering gun to open up the end if it is crushed bad enough and then use a small dowel rod and a piece of wood on some leather to (smoosh) it back out. Then resolder the end back on with rosin core solder. Just make sure you don't bend the tab or anything else. My floats on this bike where little brass cricles. My gs 550 had the rubber ones. Then I found too, when you put the little buggers back on. Made sure your use armor all on the rubber parts to soften them up. Do what I did and take off the air filter screws to get more room at them. You have to push them on pretty hard to seat properly. Well hope this helps. I found this neat web site that shows how to clean those carbs too.

Comment

Ok, I tore down the carbs and found rust at the inlet screen. Cleaned that and found no other trash or build up. Still no response from right cylinder. I did find that with the choke fully on it works a little. Thinking that it may be a bad diaphram I switched them, no change. Don't ask why but I blew into the bowl vent and the right side came to life for a short time. Compresion is good and vaccum is good. So I am still lost.

Please help Kyle

Comment

Ok I took the carbs apart again. Third time seems to be the charm. I missed a restriction in the passage to the mixture screw. I decided no more short cuts. I have stripped the carb down and soaked them in cleaner. I found some new "o" rings in a old carb kit that was going to be thrown away.(automotive) Tomorrow I will reassemble and install. Wish me luck. Kyle

Comment

Good luck Kyle,

The complete cleaning should do it.

If the old o-rings you are using don't work, get a set from Robert Barr ($12 for every o-ring you need / all 4 cylinders). Let us know if you need them and have trouble finding Barr's e-mail address.
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
            X