Front tire (Tubes in a tubeless tire?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front tire (Tubes in a tubeless tire?)

I need a front tire for my 82 650gl. One of my friends who rides (I'm new to this) suggests running tubes in a tubeless tire as as sort of belt and suspenders approach. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My front tire currently has a tube in it, but the next time I replace it, I'm dumping the tube. The tire will run cooler, less problems, why put a tube in a cast steel rim made for tubeless tires anyway"???:-D

Comment

I thought all the GS' come with tubes. Some have and do get away without tubes on the mags but some don't. Depends on the porosity of the alloy I guess. I would and do run tubes in all GS wheels.
      I think the rule is you can run tubes in tubeless tiresand wheels, but can't run tube type tires tubeless because of the bead/rim design.

Comment

Some GS Mags are tubeless compatible, it says on the rim. My 80 has a tubeless compatible rear but not front.

My 78 has tube type front & rear. I'm running tubes in my 80 right now & will probably continue to do so.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My rim is stamped "tubeless". My Dad put tubeless tires on our '59 Fiat 600 Multipla in '61, he was always forward thinking. No problem; I will replace the next tire with a Perelli Scorpion tubeless again, and no tube this time......:-D
          Originally posted by paco13 View Post
          I thought all the GS' come with tubes. Some have and do get away without tubes on the mags but some don't. Depends on the porosity of the alloy I guess. I would and do run tubes in all GS wheels.
          I think the rule is you can run tubes in tubeless tiresand wheels, but can't run tube type tires tubeless because of the bead/rim design.

Comment

Originally posted by spadefoot View Post
            I need a front tire for my 82 650gl. One of my friends who rides (I'm new to this) suggests running tubes in a tubeless tire as as sort of belt and suspenders approach. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
            There are a couple of problems with that approach.
            1. Possible heat build-up with the two items flexing on each other needlessly.
            2. Concering the 'belt and suspenders' mentality...if your suspenders break, you will know it. If your belt breaks, you will know it. If you run over a nail and punctue your tube, you probably won't know it because the tire will hold the air until you find the nail and pull it out. Therefore, you won't know you have a problem until the second time you have one.

Look at your rims. If they are marked for tubeless applications, go ahead and do it.
            If they are not marked for tubeless, you will be taking a chance, but many do get away with it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, my front rim is marked for tubeless. The tire that's on there right now is marked as a: 90/90-19 52H

So far, I've had not much luck finding that size. What would work for my bike (gs650 gl)? I'm looking for something that will wear pretty well, not looking for anything super sporty...

Comment

tubeless tires are easier to fix ....with plugs,
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I have used tubless tires without tubes on every GS model I have owned with zero problems. The only GS I did not was the one I had that had spoked rims.
                  and if I had kept it, I would have sealed the rims so I could run tubeless tires on it too.

Earl
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                    tubeless tires are easier to fix ....with plugs,
                    Ditto. Plugs are brilliant.

Comment

OK, my front rim is marked for tubeless. The tire that's on there right now is marked as a: 90/90-19 52H

So far, I've had not much luck finding that size. What would work for my bike (gs650 gl)? I'm looking for something that will wear pretty well, not looking for anything super sporty...
                      100/90 is standard replacement for the folks around here. Although some people bash them the GSR collective has lots of favorable things to say about the Cheng Shin Highmax tires. Dirt cheap too. JC Whitney sells them. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000209177
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I will agree with the Cheng Shin Hi-Max being a good tire. I am about to replace the one on my wife's bike (850L) that has 14,000+ miles on it.
                        There is still some tread, but the rear is worn out so I am replacing them as a set.

Besides JC Whitney, you can get them at Tires Unlimited.
                        The stock size might be 90/90-19, but if you install 100/90-19, you will find that your speedometer will read almost perfectly. \\/

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bought my himax tires through chapparral motorsports. had the best price i could find.

Comment

Thanks! Ordered one just now.

As a side note, ig got the bike to start for me today... it will only run for about 1.5-2 second before cutting out, but it does start up!

Comment

I've always run tubes in the tires of all my bikes - both out of necessity (spoke rims) and for the same reason as your buddy suggests. I figure you only have 2 wheels and it's not an easy coast to a stop sometimes on a bike - new tires always get new tubes.....I have patched to get myself back on home territory or when a tire or tube wasn't available but don't make a habit of it (on bikes).
                              I've never had issues with tires heating or failing prematurely due to them.
                              What can I say - my new bike has spoke wheels, tubeless tires with tubes in them......from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                              X