No announcement yet.

Chain facts 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually WD40 is non toxic and you could fry chicken in it. It is not kerosene, it is fish oil.

Earl

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
    Same situation for me. That white chain grease is as sticky cold molasses & it picks up grit that hangs on like a hair in a biscuit.

I'm cleaning mine with WD-40. I use WD for everything but fryin' chicken.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Actually WD40 is non toxic and you could fry chicken in it. It is not kerosene, it is fish oil.

Earl
      I can believe fish oil but there is some kind of volatile solvent in it that evaporates out.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post

Earl
        I gotta send that into Mythbusters...I dunno that i would try it, but i dunno that its out of the realm of possibility either...

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
          Same situation for me. That white chain grease is as sticky cold molasses & it picks up grit that hangs on like a hair in a biscuit.

I'm cleaning mine with WD-40. I use WD for everything but fryin' chicken.
          HAHA!! Hair...biscuit...*sigh* funny

Comment

Doesn't seem very "fish oil" to me... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I like using non o-ring chains of high quality because they have markedly decreased friction when compared to o-ring chains. Lubing them is no real problem, but keeping 'em clean does require some attention.
              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                I like using non o-ring chains of high quality because they have markedly decreased friction when compared to o-ring chains.
                You think they run cooler?
                Go faster?
                Use less gas?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hmmm, apparently the article I read on WD40 was something less than entirely accurate. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Doesn't seem very "fish oil" to me... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Well I tried using just WD40 and now I get a lot of lube fling. The side of the tire, running down the side and center stand, even the guy riding behind me for about 200 miles on Saturday had a nice even stripe down the front of his face shield.

Any tricks. I used to use PJ Blue chain lube. If I clean with WD40 and then spray on the lube will it stop the flinging by somehow clinging the WD40 to the chain? I also should probably get a chain guard.

Comment

You were supposed to use the WD40 on a rag and wipe the chain down to clean it. Not soak it and fling WD 40 over half of Kansas. LOL After cleaning with the WD 40, go to Lowes and buy a can of Multi purpose dry Teflon Lubricant and lightly mist the chain sideplates and rollers, allowing them to dry. There will be no fling off and it will lube the rubber "O" rings.

OH yeah, one more thing. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT! have the bike running when you wipe the chain with a rag. I know it seems like a quick and easy way, but its also a quick and easy way to lose a finger. Trust me on this.

Earl

\
                      Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
                      Well I tried using just WD40 and now I get a lot of lube fling. The side of the tire, running down the side and center stand, even the guy riding behind me for about 200 miles on Saturday had a nice even stripe down the front of his face shield.

Any tricks. I used to use PJ Blue chain lube. If I clean with WD40 and then spray on the lube will it stop the flinging by somehow clinging the WD40 to the chain? I also should probably get a chain guard.

Comment

wow, I'm a moron. Yeah, I sprayed a couple of shots into each individual link. This is what I did with PJ lube and it stayed in place. (I guess they state it won't fling also.) So how do clean it out now? I wiped it down before the ride and it's covered again at the end of the ride. Also it's sort of brown/orange looking. The chain is not rusted at all. When I wipe it off it looks brand new still. Does the WD40 just discolor? Would there be a problem with taking it to a car wash and hosing it down (Whole underside of bike), then going over the chain with WD40 and lube there on the spot?

Comment

I would not spray wash a chain at a car wash. WD40 is colorless (any that I have used anyway). Could the coloration be from the road dust in your area?
                          Just rewipe it with a rag moistened with WD40, then wipe it almost dry. After that, dust shouldnt stick to it much if any at all.

Earl

Originally posted by andrewclaycomb View Post
                          wow, I'm a moron. Yeah, I sprayed a couple of shots into each individual link. This is what I did with PJ lube and it stayed in place. (I guess they state it won't fling also.) So how do clean it out now? I wiped it down before the ride and it's covered again at the end of the ride. Also it's sort of brown/orange looking. The chain is not rusted at all. When I wipe it off it looks brand new still. Does the WD40 just discolor? Would there be a problem with taking it to a car wash and hosing it down (Whole underside of bike), then going over the chain with WD40 and lube there on the spot?

Comment

Come to think of it, there was a part of nowhere KS that looked like red dirt had blown across the pavement, but it was only for maybe 10 miles or so. I guess that's all it takes.

I'm glad I posted this because I was just going to go out and spray it down again and wipe off the excess. Should I take off the cover bolted to the engine and wipe down that area? I suppose I need a reason to buy an impact driver.

Comment

Many moons ago, there was a raging argument here ( I know that's hard to believe) about whether one should clean off the packing grease on a new chain, and if one should then be regularly lubing o-ring chains, and if so, with what. I had just purchased and installed two RK X-Ring chains on my GS550 and GS700, so I emailed them to get the straight poop on maintenance from a major manufacturer. I still have the email. Here it is:

Subject: RK Chain Maintenance
                              Date: Mon, Feb 09, 2004 7:28pm

Thanks for buying RK chains. There should have been warranty cards in the boxes with maintenance instructions.

They come from the factory with that thick sticky grease to help them resist rusting on the ocean voyage and in storage. Leave it on and just add a layer of your favorite o-ring chain lube.

To clean the chain while it's on the bike - apply a good coat of WD-40 and let it soak in. Then wipe the chain down with a rag or soft bristle brush. After you get most of the crud off, put on another coat of lube.

To really clean the chain - take it off the bike and let it soak overnight in a pan of kerosene. Wipe most of the crud off. Hang it by one end and spray well with lube. Wipe most of it off and put the chain back on the bike.

When you lube an o-ring chain, you are not trying to get lube past the o-rings. There is already a lifetime supply of lube sealed in behind the o-rings. What you're doing by lubing the chain is keeping the metal from rusting and the rubber o-rings from drying out.

Leslie Sowden
                              Director of Sales
                              FTM Enterprises Inc.
                              What I have done since then is occasionally clean the chain with a rag soaked in kerosene, then spray it very lightly with Maxima chain wax. I let it dry for about ten minutes, then wipe the excess off with a rag very lightly dampened in kerosene.

Four years and 16,000 miles later, the 700's chain has only needed adjustment once, and looks brand new (I sold the 550 last year, and that chain looked brand new as well). The 700 has been ridden quite a few times in the rain to boot. I'll bet I get another 10,000 or more miles out of it.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Naw, just put the bike on the centerstand. wipe whatever you can reach on the lower chain run. Turn the rear wheel with you hand until another foot of chain is eposed and wipe again. Repeat until the whole chain is wiped clean.

Earl

[quote=andrewclaycomb;
                                Should I take off the cover bolted to the engine and wipe down that area? I suppose I need a reason to buy an impact driver.[/quote]

Comment

Working...
                                X