rear wheel alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear wheel alignment

I had written a thread about new fork seals and what a difference they made earlier. I could not believe how much better the bike felt with them. I came home after a ride and noticed the chain was loose and tightened it. When I went back out the rock steady feel I had felt earlier was gone. I knew the only thing I had done was chain adjustment so I came back and double checked to make sure the wheel was "lined up" It still only felt a little better. Next I center punched the center of the axle and using a vernier caliper I measured fron the axel to the end of the swing arm cut out and re alligned the rear wheel. It is better yet but still not has good as the first time. Is there a better way to allign the rear wheel? I must have got lucky the first time cuz the bike felt great and I want that feeling back.

Stringlining is the ONLY way to do it.http://www.triker.com/geometry.html this article explains how.
    Dink

Comment

Since you mentioned tightening the chain and maybe misaligning your rear wheel. Something else to consider. Did you get your chain too tight? If so this can dramtically alter the suspension operation and cause handling oddities.
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
        Stringlining is the ONLY way to do it.http://www.triker.com/geometry.html this article explains how.
        Dink
        Thanks dink, but I cant get that page to come up I keep on getting "page can not be displayed". can you e-mail me the article?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            http://www.biker.co.nz/Reviews/WheelAlignment.txt
            thanks billy, I got the picture now, ill let you know how it works out.

Comment

Skip I wont email it to you now as Billy's link is virtually the same article I was going to send you. So follow it and you will be fine, I am however amazed that you have never learned the how what or why of stringlining before, especially as a bit of a dragrace afficionado.
              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                Skip I wont email it to you now as Billy's link is virtually the same article I was going to send you. So follow it and you will be fine, I am however amazed that you have never learned the how what or why of stringlining before, especially as a bit of a dragrace afficionado.
                Dink
                I never had a problem with the bike going straight. I always used the lines in the swing arm and it always worked out fine. Looks like my handling problems are not tire alingment but the steering head bearings. Im gonna post a question on it and get on with the job. Thanks for the offer dink, like you said the 1150 gang has to stick together.

Comment

Working...
                X