Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple battery question

Hey guys,

After the long winter, I found my battery dead. It has no water in it at all. On the top, it says something about filling with battery acid. I always thought you fill batteries with water. What should I do?

Fill it with distilled water. The acid has already been added.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Fill it with distilled water. The acid has already been added.
      ... and start pricing / checking availability of a new battery, since the odds are overwhelming you need one.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

If it sat dry all winter, just go buy a new battery.
        It might work a little bit after that but not much.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

OK, the real question here is...why is it dry? :shock:

Did you have a charger attached and it boiled the battery dry, or is there a crack in the case and it all leaked out?

If you had a charger attached, you now know that it is not the proper type of charger to leave on a battery. When the fluid level goes low due to overcharging, it is only the water that boils off, leaving a concentrated acid solution. Adding distilled watter will bring the level back up, but there is a very good chance that the process of trying to charge a dry battery has literally toasted the battery.

If you would like to avoid this scenario, go for a sealed battery. I have found good prices at Parts-N-More.
          Call them to be sure which battery, as the pictures all show the positive terminal on the wrong side for most of our bikes.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

WOW, it's $10-15 cheaper AND includes its own trickle charger. \\/

That site just got bookmarked. 8-[

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't know why it was dry. I have never put a charger to it. Also, I checked the case for cracks and i can't find any. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

Comment

I'll give that battery deal another "Wow". I have paid $30 for cheap, two year at best Walmart special. May have to pick one up as a backup at that price. Great find\\/.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
                  I don't know why it was dry. I have never put a charger to it. Also, I checked the case for cracks and i can't find any. Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.
                  Maybe it was dry last year because your charging system isn't working correctly and overcharges every time it runs.
                  Just a thought.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here's another place that has AGM
                    http://www.gruberpower.com/gruberpow...-YTX14l-BS.asp
                    I assume this is a group 14 battery. They don't show a battery for the 750L. Does the 850GL use the same battery? Great price, I need a new battery.

Greg

Comment

I've been buying all my bike batteries at westco for the past few years.
                      Top of the line batteries, cant say anything but GREAT about them.

They have a battery application chart on the left margin of the page.

Earl

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
                      I assume this is a group 14 battery. They don't show a battery for the 750L. Does the 850GL use the same battery? Great price, I need a new battery.

Greg
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                      X