electrical troubles maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical troubles maybe?

I just bought a 1985 GS700ES about a month and a half ago i had the carbs gone through by a qualified mechanic who replaced the needles and seats and the bike ran good. After being on the Hiway for about an hour at about 70-75 the bike just quit running. After trying to restart the bike the battery drained. i recharged the battery and replaced the spark plugs with ngk's(there were boss spark plugs in it when i bought it)
    and once again i was on the road. within about 200 miles, again after being on the hiway at similar speeds for about 30 min's the bike once again sputtered and died. When I pulled the spark plugs they were not fouled or discolored but the diode was much shorter than when i had installed them. Any Ideas what could be causing this?

Sounds like you're running way lean, when you say 'diode' , do you maybe mean 'electrode', the bent tang part of the sparkplug? If that is what you mean, and the electrode is shorter, you're into the pre-ignition (detonation) range of being very lean,(it's actually burning away the tip) not good, could hole a piston. Sounds like your petcock may be clogged,possibly tank is not venting, causing the gas to not flow (open the gas cap),I'd start at the petcock, remove and check for FOD, does your tank have rust in it?

Comment

yes i meant electrode! the tank does have a little rust in it, do you mean that the bike may be running lean because the petcock may be clogged and not allowing enough fuel to flow?

Comment

Originally posted by mrgruvy
        yes i meant electrode! the tank does have a little rust in it, do you mean that the bike may be running lean because the petcock may be clogged and not allowing enough fuel to flow?
        A little surface rust is normal, generally no biggie,add an in-line filter, but it does sound like you're not getting enough gas flow,causing a lean condition, check for pinched fuel line, also pinched vacuum line to petcock. If those are good, drain the tank and remove the petcock to check petcock filter screens inside tank. One time I had the spring locator inside the petcock vacuum valve diaphragm (inside squarish cap with 4 screws) break and wedge itself so the diaphragm wouldn't pull the valve open all the way, hope this helps!

Comment

thanx

i hope so too!!!gives me a place to start for sure. appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.

Comment

Working...
          X